Aug 10, 2013, 10:17 PM EST
All this talk of where Clint Dempsey would line up for his new team … how Seattle manager Sigi Schmid would need to tinker in working all of his pricey frontrunners into the attack … whether the Sounders might need significant tactical rearrangement to accommodate all the goal-scoring talent … yeah, forget all that.
At least for now.
The Sounders just went from having too many game-changing forwards to not enough of them. For a little while, at least.
Eddie Johnson (pictured) was shown a yellow card Saturday in Toronto for embellishment, a pretty shaky decision from referee Mark Geiger (who continues to be a curious sort, able to manage matches fairly effectively at FIFA level but maddeningly inconsistent when overseeing MLS contests).
So Johnson will be suspended for a contest, sitting out his one-match ban for accumulating too many cautions. That happened in the first half Saturday in Toronto, where Dempsey debuted for his new club in a 2-1 win for the visitors.
Not long after Johnson’s yellow card Seattle’s other starting striker, Obafemi Martins, crumbled under a Toronto challenge. He went off with what appeared to be ankle injury. Sounders manager Sigi Schmid didn’t have much more information after the match, according to Tweets from Seattle Times writer Joshua Mayers.
Seattle has a full week before traveling to Houston (not too far from where Dempsey was raised) for an Aug. 17 MLS contest. Given the likely injury to Martins and Johnson’s suspension, plus the fact that he went almost an hour Saturday, Dempsey seems almost certain to start that one.
- WATCH: Daniel Osvaldo scores Goal of the Season contender, as Saints peg back Man City – Video 0
- Manchester United 0-1 Newcastle: Red Devils slip up once again 1
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 15 0
- MLS Cup preview: Real Salt Lake meets Sporting Kansas City to decide Major League Soccer’s 18th championship 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (39)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (23)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (21)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)