Aug 11, 2013, 5:07 PM EDT
Dinamo and Steaua, two of Romania’s biggest clubs, faced off in their country’s biggest derby on Sunday, with two first half goals allowing Steaua to claim a 2-1, Eternal Derby victory. As you’d expect from a game between teams that’ve claimed 42 league titles, the match packed Bucharest’s national stadium, had a reportedly intense atmosphere, and included number of obligatory “altercations” in the stands. It all sounded very rivalry-y.
Beyond Romania’s borders, the lasting image from this match will be one from before the opening whistle, with Dinamo’s fans marking the occasion with this tifo, tweeted out earlier today by @Gibbe84 on Twitter:
The two players are Cătălin Hîldan and Florea Dumitrache (see first comment, below). Hîldan spent seven years with the club before dying or cardia arrest during a friendly in Oct. 2000. He was only 24 years old. Dumitrache is a former Romanian international who spend 12 years with the club from the mid-60s to mid-70s, scoring 108 goals in league play. He passed away in April 2007.
Intriguingly, there’s a three-dimensional effect the transparent players a provide. Hanging above the fan-held placards that create the field, the two player-angels hover as if their visages are protecting Dinamo’s current team. The whole thing certainly speaks to the supporters’ views of legacy and immortality.
Here in North America, we have a number of fan groups producing amazing displays. In the Pacific Northwest, Portland and Seattle fans are setting Major League Soccer’s standard. This, however, gives those supporters groups another standard. Dinamo’s tifo was amazing.
- On Jurgen Klinsmann and Michael Bradley and “playing out of position” 1
- Three things we learned from the USMNT’s late 1-1 draw in Switzerland 1
- Player ratings: Stars and flops for the USMNT in 1-1 draw at Switzerland 8
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 3
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 2
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2