Aug 11, 2013, 5:07 PM EST
Dinamo and Steaua, two of Romania’s biggest clubs, faced off in their country’s biggest derby on Sunday, with two first half goals allowing Steaua to claim a 2-1, Eternal Derby victory. As you’d expect from a game between teams that’ve claimed 42 league titles, the match packed Bucharest’s national stadium, had a reportedly intense atmosphere, and included number of obligatory “altercations” in the stands. It all sounded very rivalry-y.
Beyond Romania’s borders, the lasting image from this match will be one from before the opening whistle, with Dinamo’s fans marking the occasion with this tifo, tweeted out earlier today by @Gibbe84 on Twitter:
The two players are Cătălin Hîldan and Florea Dumitrache (see first comment, below). Hîldan spent seven years with the club before dying or cardia arrest during a friendly in Oct. 2000. He was only 24 years old. Dumitrache is a former Romanian international who spend 12 years with the club from the mid-60s to mid-70s, scoring 108 goals in league play. He passed away in April 2007.
Intriguingly, there’s a three-dimensional effect the transparent players a provide. Hanging above the fan-held placards that create the field, the two player-angels hover as if their visages are protecting Dinamo’s current team. The whole thing certainly speaks to the supporters’ views of legacy and immortality.
Here in North America, we have a number of fan groups producing amazing displays. In the Pacific Northwest, Portland and Seattle fans are setting Major League Soccer’s standard. This, however, gives those supporters groups another standard. Dinamo’s tifo was amazing.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014