Aug 11, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
How to make friends and influence people, Fredy Montero-style: Kick the ball into a big net from a really long way out. We saw it a number of times in Major League Soccer, and today in a friendly against Serie A side Fiorentina, Sporting CP got their first taste of what the Colombian can offer.
Before this moment, Sporting’s fans probably had little idea what their team was getting when they signed a little-known Colombian from Major League Soccer. That he wasn’t a regular for his country’s national team may have left them a little perplexed as to why their club was considering paying millions for a 26-year-old making his first foray to Europe.
With a few more moments like this, however, Sporting supporters will quickly have their answers. Here’s the former Seattle Sounder in the fifth minute of today’s friendly against Fiorentina:
You can’t exactly tell from the video, but that sure looks like it was Montero’s first touch. A ball played back for veteran David Pizarro alludes the Chilean midfielder. Montero gets between Pizarro and the ball and lets it run just far enough to, as they say, put his foot through the it. Uruguayan goalkeeper Gustavo Munúa was undoubtedly none-too-thrilled to suddenly be in the shoes so many of his MLS counterparts have occupied before.
Sporting went on to win 3-1 ahead of their Portuguese league opener next Sunday. For Montero, it was his first goal since joining the Lisbon giants on loan from Seattle.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 1
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes
- Players to Watch: Montreal Impact
- Ireland's Premier Division Season Kicks off
- Away-Goal Rule is the Novelty for this Year's MLS Playoffs