Aug 12, 2013, 12:29 AM EST
There’s always a chance Barcelona will pay for both, but whereas last week the soccer world’s Universal Rumor Mill was spinning David Luiz-to-Barça, this week its focusing on Daniel Agger. The Liverpool defender has been linked with a move to Cataluyna all summer, but with Luiz still at Stamford Bridge, it seems time to for the gossip pages to zero-in on the Dane. And if a deal for Agger isn’t completed this week, Luiz’s mug shot can go back on the cork board next Monday.
The potential Agger deal has the benefit of the player being interesting in the move. At least, that’s what today’s reports are claiming. Barcelona’s placed a $23 million bid for the Danish tattoosmith, it’s been rejected, but should the teams come to terms, Agger would actually be fine making the second switch of his club career.
From the player’s agent:
“We are aware that Barcelona have made an offer for Daniel that Liverpool have rejected,” said Steffensen, who was approached by an agent representing the Spanish club several weeks ago. “Daniel has a contract with Liverpool for the next three years and it would be up to the clubs to agree a fee for his transfer in order for that to change.”
That’s not “and he wants to see the deal out.” It’s also not “Daniel wants to play Champions League football.” It’s decidedly in the middle, perhaps an attempt to say “We’d like to see it happen, but we’re not going to force a deal.”
And everything you need to know about why a deal’s unlikely to happen this month, even if Agger forces it:
With Carragher gone, Sebastián Coates failing to convince Rodgers and Martin Skrtel’s position uncertain having been told he can leave Liverpool earlier in the summer, only to be informed last week that he would not be sold, the Anfield club can ill afford to lose their most influential centre-half. That was reflected in the response to Barcelona, who have targeted either Agger or David Luiz but have received no encouragement from Chelsea that the Brazil international is for sale.
So where does this leave Barcelona? It seems Gerardo Martino wants reinforcements at the back, but with the team’s high standard and limited time left in the summer window, there are very few candidates. That’s why they seem to be bouncing back and forth between Chelsea and Liverpool, but with neither club needing to sell or capable of weathering the loss of their best defender, it doesn’t look good for Barcelona.
The Spanish champions may need to target some depth players, hope Gerard Piqué, Carles Puyol, Javier Mascherano and Marc Bartra stay healthy, then concentrate on January. In the interim, they can start working with some clubs toward a winter buy, preparing them for the need to replace a key player in a way they haven’t with Chelsea and Liverpool. Hopefully they’ll have reinforcements mid-season.
That’s not ideal, and most elite defenders will already be playing in Champions League. Though Liverpool will have one guy who’s not.
- Pick just three?!? FIFPro World XI midfielder shortlist is Juve-heavy, really good 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra examines huge top four showdowns in Premier League 0
- Huge blow for Arsenal as Jack Wilshere is out for three months 0
- Bob Bradley talks Stabaek, job offers, offseason plans and more 0
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 2
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 4