Aug 12, 2013, 8:00 PM EST
Schalke 04′s 19-year-old star Julian Draxler was set to join the German national team for Wednesday’s friendly against Paraguay. Instead, the attacking midfielder will spend this week trying to accelerate skin growth after an early challenge in Sunday’s game with Hamburg replaced his left ankle with this medical school experiment:
Sorry I didn’t warn you sooner, but there’s really no way to once you’re here. The page is going to load, you’re going to see the picture (tweeted by @riedel_david after the match), so any kind of parental guidance message I put above the image will only over my backside. Besides, did see the word “grotesque” in the headline, right? Given the range of possibility that implied, you’re getting off light.
Draxler started Schalke’s Bundesliga opener Sunday in Gelsenkirchen and set up Klass-Jan Huntelaar’s opening goal, but a challenge from behind near the 20-minute mark by Hmaburg midfielder Tolgay Arslan caused the injury. Attempting to play the ball as Draxler dribbled across the center line, Arslan’s left foot came down the back of Draxler’s leg, dragging his studs from calf to angle.
Or, put another way, here’s how Reuters understatedly described the injury while announcing Draxler’s Germany withdrawal:
The 19-year-old sustained a heel injury and a cut in their 3-3 draw against Hamburg SV on Sunday as Schalke kicked off their Bundesliga season.
I would have gone with “a cut resulting in a small part of his heel being lost,” but their description is probably more accurate.
Draxler initially tried walk the injury off, unaware a gash had been opened up beneath his sock. Within minutes, the pain (or perhaps loss of blood) must have got to him. Leon Goretzka was brought on to take his place.
By that time, Schalke were down 2-1, though the Blues eventually rebounded to salvage a 3-3 result. Jens Keller’s team travels to Wolfsburg this weekend, with Draxler’s status uncertain.
Here are full highlights of Draxler’s short day. Fast forward to 1:04 to see a good angle on how the injury occurred:
- PST Extra: Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Ranking the candidates for MLS’s next two expansion teams (after Don Garber’s Tuesday Q-and-A) 4
- MLS Season Preview: Ranking the top 10 midfielders 0
- U.S. Soccer confirms three-game send-off series ahead of 2014 World Cup 3
- Revs Notebook: Targeting Strikers, Imbongo's Reds & Fagundez's Left Foot
- Chicago Fire Players to Watch for in 2014
- FC Dallas Unveil 2014 Home Kit
- Eddie Johnson's Bumpy Road to Designated Player Status
- Adidas & Nike Unveil Hybrid Cleats to Change Soccer Forever
- Preview: Sporting KC at Seattle Sounders FC
- Chelsea Face Stiff Test When Tottenham Visit the Bridge
- Egyptian Player Banned for Using 'Sisi' Sign
- Houston Dynamo Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season
- Vancouver Whitecaps: Players to Watch During the 2014 MLS Season