Aug 12, 2013, 7:09 PM EST
If you had him in your “first to withdraw” pool, cash in, because Michael Orozco Fiscal’s not going to Sarajevo. The hamstring injury the Puebla defender suffered this weekend will reduce Jurgen Klinsmann’s squad to 22, as per what seems like policy, the ailing player was not replaced on the roster.
Orozco stood a good chance of seeing time for the U.S. on Wednesday, with the inexperienced squad called up for the game in Bosnia lacking depth in central defense. Without him, Klinsmann will choose from Stoke City’s Geoff Cameron, Bolton’s Tim Ream, potentially Augsburg’s Michael Parkhurst, and (of course) Hertha Berlin’s John Anthony Brooks.
U.S. Men’s National Team defender Michael Orozco Fiscal has been forced to withdraw from the roster after suffering a hamstring injury Sunday night in Puebla’s scoreless draw against Veracruz. No replacement will be added to the U.S. roster.
Orozco would have been looking for his 10th cap, and given the team that was called in, a starting pair of him and Geoff Cameron would have been the bookies’ opening favorite. Now there’ll be at least one mild surprise in central defense when the team kicks off in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
And if that means U.S. fans are more likely to see Anthony Brooks, some heightened curiosity will start to be satisfied in four days’ time.
- The Benny Feilhaber Conundrum: Has Peter Vermes finally solved the puzzle? 0
- Real Salt Lake’s 2013: The not-so-rebuilding year that could end in an MLS title 1
- Premier League Roundup: Moyes defeated in Everton reunion; top five snag wins 0
- David Moyes bemoans bad luck as former side Everton come back to haunt him 1
- West Bromwich Albion 2-3 Manchester City: Citizens address road worries with convincing performance at The Hawthorns 0
- Sunderland 3-4 Chelsea: Blues grab crucial away win as Hazard dazzles (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-0 Hull City: Bendtner and Ozil keep Gunners top (video) 0
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw 19
- Sit down with Orlando City SC: Taking on Beckham, emulating the Timbers and Kaka in 2015 – Part I (21)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (20)
- USA drop one spot to 14th in latest FIFA World Rankings, Portugal surge to fifth (19)
- Video of Jermaine Jones’ terrific goal Saturday for Schalke (18)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (14)