Aug 12, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
With Anzhi Makhachkala committed to downsizing after their owner had a spot of financial trouble, it seems almost certain that Samuel Eto’o will be the first to go. Sure, Anzhi have said that they’re not desperate to sell their high earners right away, but with Eto’o reportedly making €17m per season, the Russian side will surely be looking to offload their star striker.
Since the announcement about Anzhi’s cost-cutting measures, the Cameroonian’s agent has been quite busy. Over the weekend, Claudio Vigorelli made sure to mention that his client believed it would be an honor to play for Napoli — convenient, as the Italian side still holds plenty of the money made from the transfer of Edinson Cavani, and Rafa Benitez has made it clear that he is still on the lookout for another striker. Also in Italy, former club Internazionale and crosstown rivals AC Milan are reportedly interested in bringing Eto’o back to the peninsula.
Then on Monday morning came the faint whisper that the LA Galaxy are interested in signing Eto’o, a move that would only be possible if Anzhi were to significantly reduce his price. While the Russian side surely can’t believe they’ll be able to recoup the €30+ spent to bring Eto’o to their side, it’s also unlikely that they’ll bargain down to a fee acceptable for the MLS side.
Which leaves us with Chelsea, where the striker’s former boss is now in charge. Under Jose Mourinho while at Inter, Eto’o seems keen on a reunion, with the striker himself speaking about his desire to play for the Blues. Eto’o called Mourinho one of the best coaches in the game, and said it was “never boring” to play under the Portuguese tactician. Should Chelsea miss out on Wayne Rooney, the Cameroonian just might be an option, but don’t forget he’s 32 years old, expensive, and has never played in the Premier League.
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 0
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 2
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 1
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1
- Premier League friendly roundup: Southampton draws, Stoke swallowed 0
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 8