Aug 13, 2013, 3:58 PM EDT
Ethan Horvath, from Highlands Ranch, Colo., and who grew up playing club soccer for Real Colorado, made his first appearance as a professional in an 18-man game day roster on Saturday. The 18-year-old goalkeeper sat on the bench as his Molde FK defeated Sogndal 2-1 in the Norwegian Eliteserien.
Horvath signed for the club this year that is also home to former Chivas USA academy forward Ben Spencer and American Gold Cup call-up Joshua Gatt. Manchester United legend Ole Gunnar Solskjær is the head coach of Molde, which will play Rubin Kazan in the Europa League qualifying rounds on Aug. 22 and 29.
Another American, defender Sean Cunningham, was recently released from the club.
Horvath is in the United States under-18 national team pool, and he played for the U15s before that. U.S. Soccer lists him at 6 feet, 3 inches tall and 182 pounds. Before signing with Molde, Horvath trained with Stoke City and Bristol City in England.
The kid from Colorado is one to watch for the future of American goalkeeping. With U20 starter Cody Cropper, who plays for Southampton, getting called into the U.S. squad for Wednesday’s friendly in Bosnia-Herzegovina, it seems head coach Jürgen Klinsmann and his staff are on the lookout for young talent at the position.
For his part, Horvath should challenge for a starting spot on the U20 team by the time the 2015 U20 World Cup rolls around. He split time with Santiago Castaño in goal during the U18s’ recent Milk Cup tournament in Northern Ireland.
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes