Aug 14, 2013, 2:43 PM EST
Hertha Berlin central defender John Anthony Brooks, long-watched as a potential German-born U.S. international, is set to start the United States’ friendly today in Sarajevo. Against Bosnia and Herzegovina, the 20-year-old Berlin-born defender got the call next to Stoke City’s Geoff Cameron in Jurgen Kilnsmann’s starting XI.
According to ESPN, Brooks will become the 61st different player to play since Klinsmann took over the U.S. national team two years ago.
Because today’s match is a friendly, the appearance does not permanently commit Brooks to the United States. But unlike Johansson and many foreign-born players who have recently committed for the U.S., Brooks has played at U-levels for the U.S., appearing for both the U-20 and U-23 national teams.
Jóhansson starts today’s game on Klinsmann’s bench, with Jozy Altidore set to start as the U.S.’s only outright forward. Along with 1860 Munich’s Bobby Wood, the former Icelandic youth international could get his first senior cap for the U.S. tonight.
The U.S.’s full starting lineup:
G: Tim Howard
LB: Fabian Johnson
CB: John Anthony Brooks
CB: Geoff Cameron
RB: Brad Evans
M: Michael Bradley
M: Jermaine Jones
AM: Eddie Johnson
AM: Mikkel Diskerud
AM: Alejandro Bedoya
F: Jozy Altidore
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 3
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"