Aug 14, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
The two-time defending champions will make it official tomorrow, and if previous reports are any indication, the announcement will be more reassuring than surprising. After having the likes to Kaká, Frank Lampard, and Giovani Dos Santos linked with their third Designated Player position, the LA Galaxy are expected to announce a contract extension for former MLS Defender of the Year and reigning MLS Cup Final MVP Omar Gonzalez, a deal that will claim that final cap-defying spot.
To be clear: The Galaxy made no mention of Omar in their release on Wednesday, an advisory that noted their third Designated Player will be unveiled at noon Pacific on Thursday. And given the timing in the calendar and the stature of the club in question, it’s no Gonzalez will be the man who stands at the podium.
However, if you’re betting against the big U.S. international being announced tomorrow, you’ve either got a guy on the inside or have a dangerously low regard for your money. Gonzalez is the big favorite here.
We talked about Gonzalez’s Designated Player potential before. It’s an intriguing debate. To what extent do defenders justify these scarce DP spots? And is Gonzalez one of those players? Does the fact that he plays for the Galaxy — a team with more stars on their radar than any other MLS team — chance how you evaluate their potential re-signing of Gonzalez?
Tomorrow we’ll find out if those questions become more than hypotheticals.
- Arsenal could be own worst enemy as title challenge sees tension rise 0
- Arsenal 1-1 Everton: Late breakthroughs cancel as Deulofeu denies Arsenal all 3 points 2
- Real Salt Lake manager Jason Kreis sounds like a man about to leave 3
- Premier League Sunday Preview: Arsenal host Everton, Aston Villa travel to Fulham 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (41)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (29)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)