Aug 14, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
NBC Sports’ national columnist Joe Posnanski has been doing his homework ahead of the new Premier League season.
And here’s what he’s found.
Heading over to London for a four day jaunt, Posnanski got his teeth stuck into understanding what makes every Premier League team tick. And did a very good job of it indeed.
Read Posnanski’s second piece from London, as he breaks down why you should support each team, why shouldn’t support them, what American sports team they compare to and much more.
The first piece of his three-part series previewing the Premier League discussed Manchester United’s dominance, after Posnanski attended the FA Community Shield to soak up the atmosphere of a big game at Wembley.
I was lucky enough to be alongside him for that game… but more on that tomorrow.
Anyway, check out this extract from Posnanski’s terrific piece: How to pick a Premier League club
Colors: White and black.
Location: Fulham area in Southwest London.
Nickname: The Whites
Stadium: Craven Cottage is the British equivalent of Wrigley Field … or maybe it’s the other way around since it is much older than Wrigley Field. Charming, ancient, it’s the only stadium by the Thames River. And it’s the only stadium with a Michael Jackson statue.
American connection: Strong – players like Brian McBride, Eddie Johnson, Kasey Keller and Clint Dempsey played for Fulham. The new owner, Shahid Khan, also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars. And, let’s face it, they have a Michael Jackson statue – the former owner, Mohamed Fayed, was a friend.
Realistic hope: Avoid relegation and get back into the Top 10.
Why you should be a fan: Fantastic old stadium with a Michael Jackson statue out front. What else could anyone want. Fantastic history. Super friendly fans — Fulham is the only team in England that has a “neutral” section where fans of neither team can sit and watch.
Read in full, Joe Posnanski on the Premier League
Part III: Coming up on Thursday…
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 0
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1
- Despite artificial turf, New York Red Bulls’ Thierry Henry says he’ll play next week at New England 1
- Recap: New England Revolution snatch 2-1 lead, two away goals from New York Red Bulls 6
- Video: Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool needs to “become a team” 1
- Crystal Palace 3-1 Liverpool: Bolasie carves up Liverpool defense 3