Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
For all the criminal behavior that has been reported out of Brazil, it’s good to know the justice system seems to be working.
Reuters has confirmed that a Brazilian court has convicted three men for the rape of an American tourist in Rio de Janeiro this past March.
The crime, as well as numerous claims of robberies and one particularly heinous murder, has called global attention to security issues in Brazil leading up to next summer’s World Cup.
Rio de Janeiro state’s Court of Justice handed down sentences of 49 years, 3 months and 11 days to Jonathan Froudakis de Souza and Walace Aparecido Souza for the crimes of grand theft, rape and extortion. Another conspirator, Carlos Armando Costa dos Santos, was sentenced to 21 years and 7 months. All three of the individuals are said to be in their early twenties.
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0