Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
For all the criminal behavior that has been reported out of Brazil, it’s good to know the justice system seems to be working.
Reuters has confirmed that a Brazilian court has convicted three men for the rape of an American tourist in Rio de Janeiro this past March.
The crime, as well as numerous claims of robberies and one particularly heinous murder, has called global attention to security issues in Brazil leading up to next summer’s World Cup.
Rio de Janeiro state’s Court of Justice handed down sentences of 49 years, 3 months and 11 days to Jonathan Froudakis de Souza and Walace Aparecido Souza for the crimes of grand theft, rape and extortion. Another conspirator, Carlos Armando Costa dos Santos, was sentenced to 21 years and 7 months. All three of the individuals are said to be in their early twenties.
- La Liga & Serie A roundup: Draws for Real, Atletico; Salah shines for Fiorentina 0
- Chelsea 2-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Mourinho’s boys win League Cup trophy 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 4
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 4
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0