Aug 15, 2013, 9:53 AM EST
Manchester United manager has hit out at the Premier League fixtures for giving Manchester United their toughest start “in 20 years.”
The Red Devils will take on Chelsea, Liverpool, and Manchester City in their first five matches – two of them on the road – and Moyes is none too pleased.
“I hope it’s not because Manchester United won the league quite comfortably last year that the fixtures have been made much more difficult,” Moyes said. I find it hard to believe that’s the way the balls came out of the bag, that’s for sure.”
The former Everton boss is taking over for Sir Alex Ferguson this season, and knows the pressure will be high for him to get off to a good start, so it’s understandable he’s frustrated.
The Premier League, however, was not amused, and immediately responded. “We have absolutely assured him the process is random and above board. He has accepted those assurances.”
Moyes did pick up a trophy in his competitive United debut as they won the Community Shield 2-0 over relegated Wigan.
However there is a massive rumor tornado swirling around Wayne Rooney, and Moyes has done everything he can to quell it, insisting the striker is not leaving despite rumors of unsettlement. Rooney has sat for a number of preseason matches thanks to a series of minor injuries, according to the club.
- UEFA Champions League Preview: Manchester United, Bayern Munich look to finish group stage on top 0
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 4
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014