Aug 15, 2013, 10:13 PM EST
Don’t even think about it.
That’s the advice Swansea manager Michael Laudrup has doled out to Arsenal amidst rumors that the Gunners are interested in buying Spanish sensation Michu.
After sputtering out in their pursuit of Gonzalo Higuain, Luis Suarez and Wayne Rooney, Arsenal are reportedly turning their interest to alternative options up top, with the Swansea hitman topping the list.
But Laudrup has set forth to squash any hope that Arsene Wenger may have before it grows too large. Having previously stated that he values Michu in the region of £30 million, Laudrup explained his feelings in detail.
“I think economically the club is very good,” said Laudrup. “I know if they (Arsenal) came in with a very late bid, I know that the reaction from the board and chairman will be ‘No’, even if the money is ridiculous, as we will not have time enough to find a replacement who is near enough to the same standard.”
Laudrup was also quick to quell any belief that huge money could sway his position. “You can say we would get a lot of money but why be the richest club in the championship? What is that worth?”
Of course, while Laudrup may not see the upside in “ridiculous” money, that’s not to say that chairman Huw Jenkins wouldn’t feel otherwise. The two were at odds earlier this summer over transfer market expenses, with Laudrup eventually winning out as he was given £12 million to sign striker Wilfried Bony, a deal which smashed the previous club record by £6.5 million.
But thus far there is no indication that Jenkins is seeking to recover those funds or the £7.5 million Laudrup spent on defender Jordi Amat and midfielder Jonjo Shelvey (the Swans other signings were all free transfers or undisclosed).
At the end of the day keeping Michu at the Liberty Stadium is all part of the agreement made between manager and player. “I spoke to Michu last year,” Laudrup added, “and he extended his contract and asked me about mine and I said ‘I am going to stay here’, and he said, ‘So am I’.”
So there you have it.
Michu and Swansea City host the mighty Red Devils of Manchester United this Saturday at 12:30 pm EST on NBC.
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- WATCH: Stoke City fans erupt into “Delilah” chant during win over Arsenal 0
- Premier League Preview: Chelsea vs. Tottenham 0
- WATCH: PST Extra – Relegation in focus ahead of six-pointer in Cardiff 0
- Major League Soccer Preview: An alternate view of the 2014 regular season 3
- Premier League Power Rankings: Top four shuffle, as pivotal stretch arrives – Week 28 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire