Aug 15, 2013, 12:15 PM EST
After picking up a left thigh strain in training during FC Barcelona’s preseason trip to Malaysia, Lionel Messi is in serious doubt for the opening league match of the season against Levante on Saturday. As of Thursday, he is still not training with the team.
Messi traveled to Rome for Argentina’s 2-1 friendly win over Italy on Wednesday, but he did not participate in any sessions and left the camp early to return to Spain. Messi stayed in Italy just long enough to undergo some tests with the Argentinian team’s medical staff and meet Pope Francis, in whose honor the friendly against Italy was being played.
Three days after the first Liga BBVA match, Barça will take on Atlético Madrid for the Supercopa de España. Still farther in the future is the second league match, on Aug. 25 at Málaga, and the second leg of the Supercopa on Aug. 28. At this point, it’s unclear when Messi could return to the lineup, but he has already been out of action for nearly a week.
However, young Barça forward Cristian Tello played 90 minutes for Spain in a 2-0 win in Ecuador, assisting Santi Cazorla’s second goal of the game. Tello generally plays on the wing in his club and country’s 4-3-3 formations, but he can also play as the center forward.
Alexis Sánchez is another possible starter at the position, and he scored twice and assisted two more in Chile’s 6-0 rout of Iraq on Wednesday in Brøndby, Denmark.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 2
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit