Aug 15, 2013, 8:36 AM EST
Looks like more of the same from Spurs as the new season gets under way.
Gareth Bale has missed much of Tottenham Hotspur’s preseason due to “minor injuries,” otherwise known as I Want To Play Somewhere Else Syndrome.
Manager Andre Villas-Boas has confirmed the superstar will not take part in Spurs’ season opener at Crystal Palace as speculation continues about his possible huge-money departure from the club.
Villas-Boas didn’t even bother to make up an injury for Bale this time around, simply stating that because he didn’t play much in preseason, it doesn’t make sense to play him against Palace.
“I think the most natural thing is to see him not involved against Palace.”
That doesn’t sound very convincing, does it?
Villas-Boas elaborated on the reasons Bale missed out in preseason. “He was involved in the games against Brentford and Swindon but not any others, for different reasons; he pulled a muscle in his gluteus that prevented him from being involved for two weeks and he’s been complaining of pain in the foot.”
At least the Welsh international team backed Spurs up, sitting Bale due to his injuries during their friendly Wednesday against Ireland.
Whether Bale is actually injured or not, this thing is pretty sure to come down to the transfer deadline wire, unless one side or the other decides very soon they’ve had enough, which is hard to believe will happen with so much money at stake.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)