Aug 16, 2013, 8:21 PM EST
According to Tottenham Hotspur’s Portugese manager, their man in charge stayed loyal to the club despite enticing offers from two of Europe’s top teams.
(It was) my first opportunity to start a second year in the same club,” Villas-Boas said Friday. “I think that can give me an advantage and is something I want to try. I have been very welcomed, I have an excellent group of players and the conditions and structures we have at Tottenham are fantastic.”
Villas-Boas began managing in 2009, and has never spent more than one season at any club. He was in charge of Portugese giants Porto in 2010, left for Chelsea in 2011, was sacked after one year and joined Spurs before last season.
It is believed that the clubs he turned down were Spain’s Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain of France.
“I have great respect for the club and for (chairman) Daniel (Levy) and these are the reasons the couple of clubs that came knocking I told them that I wasn’t interested” AVB told reporters.
Real Madrid ended up with former PSG and Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti after spending a while wooing him from the French giants.
PSG then had serious trouble finding a manager who would say yes, with AVB among a host of big names who turned down the job before they got Laurent Blanc to sign up.
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- Venue Guide: Check out where the USA will play at 2014 World Cup in Brazil 5
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"