Skip to content

Arsenal lose out on another transfer target, as Luiz Gustavo joins Wolfsburg

Aug 16, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

FBL-GERMANY-BAYERN MUNICH-TRAINING Getty Images

What a bad summer it has been for Arsene Wenger in the transfer market.

Today the Gunners lost out on yet another potential signing, as Brazilian midfielder Luiz Gustavo signed for Bundesliga side Wolfsburg from Bayern Munich on a five-year deal.

The holding midfielder was said to be a long-term target for both Arsenal and Chelsea, but he has decided to stay in Germany rather than heading to the PL.

Gustavo has been searching for regular soccer all summer, despite several good seasons for Bayern Munich. New manager Pep Guardiola has signed a plethora of new midfielders and the combative 26-year-old wasn’t part of his plans.

Many believed Gustavo would be the perfect foil to Jack Wilshere in Arsenal’s engine room, with Mikel Arteta and Aaron Ramsey hit and miss at best over the past two seasons.

(MORE: Asene Wenger hears your transfer concerns, and he doesn’t care)

So, Gustavo has decided to stay in the Bundesliga. Maybe he wanted to stay in a league familiar to him heading into the 2014 World Cup in Brazil? Or maybe, Arsenal just aren’t the attractive proposition they once were.

No doubt Wenger has a hugely talented squad at his disposal. But any potential signing will want to win trophies and challenge for titles. Once again this season, the Gunners may flatter to deceive on both counts.

The North London side have been tracking Luis Suárez but don’t look like landing the Uruguayan unless Liverpool have a huge change of heart. Earlier in the summer Gonzalo Higuain turned down the chance to sign and instead went to Napoli and rumors of Wayne Rooney turning down a move to Arsenal have also surfaced.

Arsenal have aimed big. But they’re striking out every single time. Where do they go from here?

To be honest, unless a big name attacking player becomes available, they may as well just stick with what they have. Olivier Giroud is a decent target man and showed in spells that he can terrorize opposition defenses. While Wilshere, Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain are three of England’s brightest young talents.

It isn’t all bad news.

But what is the point of Wenger unleashing his considerable war chest )so we’re told) to land a player that won’t make a difference? You can understand if the Higuain deal came off and the Gunners spent $50 million. He is pure class and would add 20-25 goals per season. But why spend $15-20 million on a player who may do an okay job.

At this point their squad should stay the same.

They’ve got time to spend if they want but don’t forget Arsenal were unbeaten in their final 10 games last season, winning eight of them. If they could add one more top quality player, it will make the world of difference. If they don’t, it’s not the end of the world.

Either way, it’s been a frustrating summer for Wenger and Arsenal’s fans.

  1. medic0nduty - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM

    First Higuain, then Fellaini, then Suarez, and now Gustavo… to Wolfsburg, of all places.

    This should be the wake-up call for Arsene Wenger and Arsenal, when you’re loosing out on players, particularly players that you need, to teams like Wolfsburg (no offence to any Wolfsburg fans, but for now Arsenal are still up there; for how much longer is a different matter).

    • nussdorferac - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:47 PM

      Looosen up. Wolfsburg have some history. They have at least won their league since Arsenal last won a trophy.

      I don’t think this is a big deal for Arsenal. They need a striker anyway.

  2. danielofthedale - Aug 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM

    Could it be Arsenal never relly planed on bringing in any of these players? A few places have put out the theory that Arsenal leaked they wanted some of these players, Suarez specifically, only to give the fans the idea they were going to spend knowing it was not going to happen. I would think that if the Gunners really wanted to bring one of this group they would have found a way. Not all of them or even two of them but I think one for sure so I think the Board wants to spend nothing.

  3. some1kj - Aug 16, 2013 at 9:20 PM

    Too bad, all the big name good strikers are gone or not available. Heading for another hit & miss season unless some miracle happens. May be with the news that Monaco might have to face some taxation issues for its players, there is a far off chance that some of their players could want out, so … Falcao here comes Arsenal knocking at the door…!

Leave Comment

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!

Featured video

Week 34: Sunday Recap