Aug 16, 2013, 9:39 PM EDT
This is a new one.
Victor Moses disappeared from contact with Chelsea while returning from international duty, and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has therefore removed him from his matchday squad for their Sunday fixture against Hull City.
“Luiz is injured and he couldn’t play for Brazil so he’s out. Moses, I don’t know where he is,” Mourinho said. “I don’t select him from Sunday. Probably I don’t select Azpilicueta because he is the same. He went from the States to Ecuador to be on the bench and then back to London.”
Chelsea officials realized something was wrong when the winger didn’t show up for a training session on Friday. Some articles suggest he has missed a flight and couldn’t get in contact with club officials, but whatever it may be we hope he’s ok.
Moses was on international duty with Nigeria, as they defeated South Africa 2-0 in a friendly on Wednesday. Victor came on as a halftime sub for Sunday Mbia.
The chances of something serious happening are slim, but with Moses being Nigerian, the worst-case scenario does come to mind.
Back in 2011, fellow Nigerian and Chelsea teammate John Obi Mikel had to sit back and watch from England as his father endured being held hostage for 10 days as Mikel pleaded with his countrymen. His father was returned safe.
Further back in 2008, Nigerian captain Joseph Yobo found himself in a similar situation, as his younger brother Norum was kidnapped and held for ransom. He was released 12 days later.
It’s probably nothing, but let’s all hope for Moses’s well-being nonetheless.
- Krieger credits Ellis, communication for United States’ defensive success 2
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 2
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 2
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 4
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4