Aug 16, 2013, 9:39 PM EDT
This is a new one.
Victor Moses disappeared from contact with Chelsea while returning from international duty, and Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho has therefore removed him from his matchday squad for their Sunday fixture against Hull City.
“Luiz is injured and he couldn’t play for Brazil so he’s out. Moses, I don’t know where he is,” Mourinho said. “I don’t select him from Sunday. Probably I don’t select Azpilicueta because he is the same. He went from the States to Ecuador to be on the bench and then back to London.”
Chelsea officials realized something was wrong when the winger didn’t show up for a training session on Friday. Some articles suggest he has missed a flight and couldn’t get in contact with club officials, but whatever it may be we hope he’s ok.
Moses was on international duty with Nigeria, as they defeated South Africa 2-0 in a friendly on Wednesday. Victor came on as a halftime sub for Sunday Mbia.
The chances of something serious happening are slim, but with Moses being Nigerian, the worst-case scenario does come to mind.
Back in 2011, fellow Nigerian and Chelsea teammate John Obi Mikel had to sit back and watch from England as his father endured being held hostage for 10 days as Mikel pleaded with his countrymen. His father was returned safe.
Further back in 2008, Nigerian captain Joseph Yobo found himself in a similar situation, as his younger brother Norum was kidnapped and held for ransom. He was released 12 days later.
It’s probably nothing, but let’s all hope for Moses’s well-being nonetheless.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3