Aug 17, 2013, 5:34 PM EST
A day after Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio assigned Jozy Altidore a target of 15-17 goals in the American striker’s second Premier League go-round, the manager’s first full season in charge at the Stadium of Light got off to a thud.
No one around Sunderland will relish a 1-0 loss to Fulham … although Altidore was among the better Black Cats on Match Day 1 in the Premier League.
In the Chronicle Live’s player ratings – the regional news provider lets fans grade the players on-line – Altidore received top marks.
Altidore did indeed bother Fulham’s defense, which gave weight to the manager’s words from just a day earlier, when Di Canio spelled out for The Journal his big hopes for Altidore this year.
I am sure he will be a success. With his characteristics he will score many goals. He can play very well for the team and can score lots of goals. His main part is to score goals and to help the others.
“He is a modern footballer … He can make lovely movements and we expect that he will score many goals for us. I don’t know a number, but it won’t be two obviously.
Maybe 15 or 17. He will do it if he uses his energy like he did for the national team. He has desire and pride, and I think this environment here will help him. We spent a good amount of money on him, he was not a free transfer. We brought in four or five players and a few free agents but three or four specifically we had to spend on.”
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- Kind draws could give Messi, Ronaldo head start on World Cup 2014′s Golden Boot 2
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)