Aug 17, 2013, 5:34 PM EDT
A day after Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio assigned Jozy Altidore a target of 15-17 goals in the American striker’s second Premier League go-round, the manager’s first full season in charge at the Stadium of Light got off to a thud.
No one around Sunderland will relish a 1-0 loss to Fulham … although Altidore was among the better Black Cats on Match Day 1 in the Premier League.
In the Chronicle Live’s player ratings – the regional news provider lets fans grade the players on-line – Altidore received top marks.
Altidore did indeed bother Fulham’s defense, which gave weight to the manager’s words from just a day earlier, when Di Canio spelled out for The Journal his big hopes for Altidore this year.
I am sure he will be a success. With his characteristics he will score many goals. He can play very well for the team and can score lots of goals. His main part is to score goals and to help the others.
“He is a modern footballer … He can make lovely movements and we expect that he will score many goals for us. I don’t know a number, but it won’t be two obviously.
Maybe 15 or 17. He will do it if he uses his energy like he did for the national team. He has desire and pride, and I think this environment here will help him. We spent a good amount of money on him, he was not a free transfer. We brought in four or five players and a few free agents but three or four specifically we had to spend on.”
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 1
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- In MLS, West is best… at least for a weekend 1
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs