Aug 17, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
NBC Sports Group began its exclusive coverage of the Premier League today with Premier League Live on NBCSN at 7 a.m., followed by Liverpool-Stoke City on NBCSN at 7:45 a.m. ET, Arsenal-Aston Villa at 10 a.m. ET on NBC, and Swansea City-Manchester United at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC. Additional matches were available online via NBC Sport’s Live Extra streaming feeds.
Premier League Live, which precedes and follows each match, is hosted by Rebecca Lowe. She is joined by former Jamaican National Team Player Robbie Earle and former English footballer Robbie Mustoe. The three established an effective rapport, taking it in turns to speak about different aspects of the match. After Arsenal lost at home to Aston Villa, Mustoe noted of the visitors, “They went 1-0 down this game very early on and came back with tremendous character and that firepower that we know they have.” Earle, meanwhile, had a few words to say about what is happening off the pitch at Arsenal: “All this talk about who they were going to bring in and all this talk about now is the time to spend money and nothing’s happened yet… These question marks over Arsène Wenger have never been there before.”
Arlo White is the voice of the Premier League for NBC, and was joined on Saturday by former Premier League star Lee Dixon to present Manchester United’s trip to Swansea. Seattle Sounders fans became acquainted with White back in 2010, when he was the voice of the franchise, but the Englishman’s audience grew last year when he became the play-by-play commentator for MLS and US National Team games on NBC and NBCSN. White summed up Saturday’s final match with the words, “Victory then for Manchester United on the Opening Day. Swansea will be licking their wounds.”
There’s still more to come on NBC’s opening weekend of Premier League coverage. On Sunday morning, Crystal Palace host Tottenham Hotspur at 8:30 a.m., followed by Chelsea vs. Hull City at 11 a.m. Both games will be shown on NBCSN. Then on Monday, the first round finishes with Newcastle visiting Manchester City, on at 3 p.m. on NBCSN.
- VIDEO: “I Was There” visits LA Blues and LA Red Army for Chelsea’s win over United 0
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 3
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 2
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0