Aug 17, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
- Remember where we tried to tell you that Clint Dempsey could do a lot of things, but he won’t be able to improve a Sounders defense that is average at best? Well … we saw a bunch of that “average at best” at work Saturday at BBVA Compass Stadium, where space opened up on both sides for a combined for 35 shots. The Sounders had their chances. But my, oh my, the Dynamo had its chances, too. The Sounders defense was a real mess, especially in the first half.
- Clint Dempsey started and went the full 90 minutes for Seattle – no small task considering the typical heat and humidity of South Texas. The Sounders new DP played well enough, creating some chances and finding shooting spots here and there in a match that was Wild West wide open. And yet, two matches in, Dempsey remains on the hunt for his first goal or assist. Maybe that’s next week in the huge-and-getting-huger Cascadia match against Portland.
- Giles Barnes (pictured) supplied the first two Dynamo goals, including an absolute crackerjack from about 35 yards. So, maybe Juan Agudelo has a little competition for Goal of the Week, after all. See the video below. Prepare to be impressed.
- Houston’s Ricardo Clark left in the first half, and that’s potentially terrible news for Houston, which is in the middle of that big pile-up for playoff spots in the East. Clark covers so much ground and wins so many balls with those long legs. Houston has midfield cover, but no one with Clark’s combined skills set.
- Yes, Seattle has some games in hand, which makes it easier to see Dempsey and the Sounders making their way into the 2013 playoffs. On the other hand, the Sounders’ last four victories have all been against awful teams. Last Sounders win against a team currently in playoff position: June 8 against Vancouver.
- Full list of every transfer made by Premier League clubs during the Summer Transfer Window 0
- Manchester United fires back on De Gea saga, laying blame at feet of Real Madrid 1
- GRADES: How did each Premier League team fare in the Summer Transfer Window? 7
- Manchester United confirm $55 million signing of teenage striker Anthony Martial 0
- Deadline Day transfer rumor roundup: Hector to Chelsea, Berahino to Tottenham 0
- How did David de Gea’s move to Real Madrid collapse? Here’s a few answers 3