Aug 17, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
- Remember where we tried to tell you that Clint Dempsey could do a lot of things, but he won’t be able to improve a Sounders defense that is average at best? Well … we saw a bunch of that “average at best” at work Saturday at BBVA Compass Stadium, where space opened up on both sides for a combined for 35 shots. The Sounders had their chances. But my, oh my, the Dynamo had its chances, too. The Sounders defense was a real mess, especially in the first half.
- Clint Dempsey started and went the full 90 minutes for Seattle – no small task considering the typical heat and humidity of South Texas. The Sounders new DP played well enough, creating some chances and finding shooting spots here and there in a match that was Wild West wide open. And yet, two matches in, Dempsey remains on the hunt for his first goal or assist. Maybe that’s next week in the huge-and-getting-huger Cascadia match against Portland.
- Giles Barnes (pictured) supplied the first two Dynamo goals, including an absolute crackerjack from about 35 yards. So, maybe Juan Agudelo has a little competition for Goal of the Week, after all. See the video below. Prepare to be impressed.
- Houston’s Ricardo Clark left in the first half, and that’s potentially terrible news for Houston, which is in the middle of that big pile-up for playoff spots in the East. Clark covers so much ground and wins so many balls with those long legs. Houston has midfield cover, but no one with Clark’s combined skills set.
- Yes, Seattle has some games in hand, which makes it easier to see Dempsey and the Sounders making their way into the 2013 playoffs. On the other hand, the Sounders’ last four victories have all been against awful teams. Last Sounders win against a team currently in playoff position: June 8 against Vancouver.
- Radamel Falcao on track to return at weekend’s Emirates Cup 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri 0
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 6
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 1
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1