Aug 17, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
It took just 12 minutes for Cardiff City’s Premier League fairytale to end.
West Ham United welcomed them to the top-flight by taking a 1-0 lead, as Joe Cole scored an early goal to put the Hammers ahead.
The former England international picked up the ball on the edge of the Cardiff box, after a tremendous long-bursting run from Matt Jarvis down the left.
Cole then swiveled and swept his shot into the far corner of the net, sending Upton Park into raptures on the opening day of the season.
The 31-year-old attacking midfielder will certainly grow in confidence after a sublime opening day strike.
Can Cardiff fight back in East London? Watch West Ham vs. Cardiff City live on NBC Sports Live Extra now.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 5
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3