Aug 17, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
It took just 12 minutes for Cardiff City’s Premier League fairytale to end.
West Ham United welcomed them to the top-flight by taking a 1-0 lead, as Joe Cole scored an early goal to put the Hammers ahead.
The former England international picked up the ball on the edge of the Cardiff box, after a tremendous long-bursting run from Matt Jarvis down the left.
Cole then swiveled and swept his shot into the far corner of the net, sending Upton Park into raptures on the opening day of the season.
The 31-year-old attacking midfielder will certainly grow in confidence after a sublime opening day strike.
Can Cardiff fight back in East London? Watch West Ham vs. Cardiff City live on NBC Sports Live Extra now.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''