Aug 17, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
It took just 12 minutes for Cardiff City’s Premier League fairytale to end.
West Ham United welcomed them to the top-flight by taking a 1-0 lead, as Joe Cole scored an early goal to put the Hammers ahead.
The former England international picked up the ball on the edge of the Cardiff box, after a tremendous long-bursting run from Matt Jarvis down the left.
Cole then swiveled and swept his shot into the far corner of the net, sending Upton Park into raptures on the opening day of the season.
The 31-year-old attacking midfielder will certainly grow in confidence after a sublime opening day strike.
Can Cardiff fight back in East London? Watch West Ham vs. Cardiff City live on NBC Sports Live Extra now.
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7