Aug 17, 2013, 10:28 AM EST
It took just 12 minutes for Cardiff City’s Premier League fairytale to end.
West Ham United welcomed them to the top-flight by taking a 1-0 lead, as Joe Cole scored an early goal to put the Hammers ahead.
The former England international picked up the ball on the edge of the Cardiff box, after a tremendous long-bursting run from Matt Jarvis down the left.
Cole then swiveled and swept his shot into the far corner of the net, sending Upton Park into raptures on the opening day of the season.
The 31-year-old attacking midfielder will certainly grow in confidence after a sublime opening day strike.
Can Cardiff fight back in East London? Watch West Ham vs. Cardiff City live on NBC Sports Live Extra now.
- Report: Manchester City to play New York City in Yankee Stadium friendly 1
- Iker Casillas to MLS? Real Madrid legend: “I would like to play in the United States” 0
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 5
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 2
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0