Aug 17, 2013, 10:28 AM EDT
It took just 12 minutes for Cardiff City’s Premier League fairytale to end.
West Ham United welcomed them to the top-flight by taking a 1-0 lead, as Joe Cole scored an early goal to put the Hammers ahead.
The former England international picked up the ball on the edge of the Cardiff box, after a tremendous long-bursting run from Matt Jarvis down the left.
Cole then swiveled and swept his shot into the far corner of the net, sending Upton Park into raptures on the opening day of the season.
The 31-year-old attacking midfielder will certainly grow in confidence after a sublime opening day strike.
Can Cardiff fight back in East London? Watch West Ham vs. Cardiff City live on NBC Sports Live Extra now.
- Report: Xavi’s move to New York City FC called off, will remain at Barcelona 0
- Pep Guardiola: For now, Julian Green will remain with Bayern Munich’s first team 2
- Real Madrid sign James Rodriguez for $107 million 4
- Xavi Hernández reportedly inching closer to New York City FC 11
- New report kicks off another round of Las Vegas expansion talk for MLS 8
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Sporting Kansas City’s Benny Feilhaber 1