Aug 17, 2013, 9:14 PM EDT
When you first see Juan Agudelo, the young New England Revolution striker who will soon belong to Stoke City of the Premier League, score against Chicago on Saturday, you might think, “That is a sweet goal.”
But watch a little closer and the level of “sweet” rises dramatically. Because Agudelo, a young U.S. international, hits the ball over Chicago ‘keeper Sean Johnson with the outside of his right foot.
It really is quite a thing, adventurous and brassy, the kind of gambit only to be attempted by someone with confidence falling out of both pockets – the kind of thing that tends to happen young men being courted by Premier League teams.
While Agudelo’s latest strike is a worthy and wonderful thing, we should say this: It may not have been a goal. We see Fire defender Bakary Soumare come crashing in for a heroic goal-line rescue attempt … and he may well have cleared it.
I keep hearing the analyst here saying “You can see the ball go over the line!”
Well, no, you cannot. Not from the angle they show us. A later view from overhead is equally inconclusive; if anything, it casts some doubt on whether the ball actually sneaked across the line.
Either way, here’s the goal — one that has “shoe-in” for MLS Goal of the Week stamped all over it:
- Atlantic crushed: D.C. United, New York open the season with three-goal losses 2
- Stoppage time goal gives Seattle 1-0 opening day win over Sporting Kansas City (video) 10
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham Hotspur: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top (video) 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear
- NYRB Don't Know What Hits Them in Emphatic 4-1 Whitecaps Win
- John Terry Rules out International Return
- Aberdeen March on in Scottish FA Cup
- 2014 MLS Season: Rebuilding The San Jose Earthquakes