Aug 17, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
Most of the headlines around the soccer universe today have been taken up by the Premier League, with 14 of the division’s clubs back in action on Saturday. But it wasn’t just England that saw the return of first-division football this weekend — over in Spain, La Liga kicked off the season with Real Sociedad hosting Getafe. The Erreala secured a 2-0 victory thanks to goals on either side of the break, thanks to goals from Carlos Vela and new boy Haris Seferović. That should give Real Sociedad a boost before their upcoming Champions League qualifying match, with the first leg taking place on Tuesday against Lyon.
Next up was a match between two sides that finished in the lower midtable last season, so you wouldn’t necessarily think you were about to see a thrilling match. But the game between Real Valladolid and Athletic Bilbao was fast paced and fun. Markel Susaeta kicked off the scoring for Athletic in the 28th minute, but Valladolid found an equalizer just three minutes later thanks to Patrick Ebert. Shortly after the restart, Athletic regained the lead through a goal by Iker Muniain, which seemed to break the hosts’ spirits. The match ended as a 2-1 victory for Athletic Bilbao.
The final match of La Liga’s Saturday saw Valencia play host to Málaga. With the sides taking 4th and 5th respectively last season, taking all three points was never going to be an easy task. But it was an important one for the new coach of los che, Miroslav Djukic, a former Valencia player. Fortunately for Djukic, Ricardo Costa broke through the Valencia defense in the 64th minute, and despite a flurry of activity from the visitors, the scoreline stood at 1-0.
La Liga action continues on Sunday with a host of great matches. First up is Barcelona hosting Levante, followed by Real Madrid vs. Real Bestis and Osasuna vs. Granada. The weekend wraps up with Atlético Madrid paying a visit to Sevilla.
- Southampton name former Edmonton Oilers coach its new chairman 0
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 0
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 1 0
- Arsenal midfielder Gedion Zelalem about to jump off the U.S. Soccer radar 6
- Disappointing Opener for the Chicago Fire
- Liverpool says Pepe Reina can Leave Permanently for Four Million Pounds
- Sporting KC Sign Antonio Dovale
- Cruz Azul Ready to Continue Good Form in CONCACAF
- Escalada's Brace Against Leon Puts Emelec at Top in Libertadores Cup
- Galaxy Know Home Cooking is key to Beating Tijuana
- Santos Waste Away Advantage Against Venezuelan Minnows in Libertadores Cup
- Earthquakes' Alan Gordon's 95th Minute Equalizer Sets 1-1 Draw vs Toluca
- Sporting Ready for Champions League Test
- Kaká Becomes First Brazilian to Reach 30 Goals in the Champions League