Aug 17, 2013, 8:42 AM EDT
English youngster Daniel Sturridge opened the scoring of the 2013/14 Premier League season as Liverpool found a breakthrough against Stoke at Anfield.
Liverpool were firmly in control, and new striker Iago Aspas found Sturridge on a pass across the outside of the box before the 23-year-old blasted a long distance strike across the ground that went through the legs of Robert Huth and found the far post.
The trio of Sturridge, Aspas, and Philippe Coutinho look in mid-season form up front, something that will give Reds fans hope in the absence of Luis Suarez, at least for the first six matches and possibly longer if he were to depart.
Can Stoke find an equalizer on the counter or will Liverpool double their lead? Watch the second half live on NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0
- Despite defeat to Chelsea, Louis van Gaal hails Manchester United’s “best match of season” 0
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s win vs. Manchester United 1
- Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United: Hazard leads defensive Blues past Red Devils (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Reading: Alexis helps Gunners clinch FA Cup final berth 0