Aug 17, 2013, 8:42 AM EST
English youngster Daniel Sturridge opened the scoring of the 2013/14 Premier League season as Liverpool found a breakthrough against Stoke at Anfield.
Liverpool were firmly in control, and new striker Iago Aspas found Sturridge on a pass across the outside of the box before the 23-year-old blasted a long distance strike across the ground that went through the legs of Robert Huth and found the far post.
The trio of Sturridge, Aspas, and Philippe Coutinho look in mid-season form up front, something that will give Reds fans hope in the absence of Luis Suarez, at least for the first six matches and possibly longer if he were to depart.
Can Stoke find an equalizer on the counter or will Liverpool double their lead? Watch the second half live on NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Promotion Watch: Leaders Derby, Middlesbrough fighting Watford, Bournemouth for PL places 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Big boys tangle ahead of League Cup final 0
- Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund and Bayern flying high with big goal performances 0
- Premier League roundup: Manchester United go third, tight wins elsewhere 0
- Manchester United’s two-goal hero Wayne Rooney hails “deserved win.” Should he stay up front? 1