Aug 17, 2013, 8:42 AM EDT
English youngster Daniel Sturridge opened the scoring of the 2013/14 Premier League season as Liverpool found a breakthrough against Stoke at Anfield.
Liverpool were firmly in control, and new striker Iago Aspas found Sturridge on a pass across the outside of the box before the 23-year-old blasted a long distance strike across the ground that went through the legs of Robert Huth and found the far post.
The trio of Sturridge, Aspas, and Philippe Coutinho look in mid-season form up front, something that will give Reds fans hope in the absence of Luis Suarez, at least for the first six matches and possibly longer if he were to depart.
Can Stoke find an equalizer on the counter or will Liverpool double their lead? Watch the second half live on NBC Sports Live Extra.
- Premier League transfer window grades – Which team did the best business? 0
- Done Deal: Radamel Falcao completes move to Manchester United 3
- Done Deal: Better late than never, Arsenal seals deal with Welbeck 2
- Americans Abroad wrap: Guzan stays unbeaten, Lichaj & Bedoya thrive 1
- Done Deal: Listing all the Deadline Day deals from the Premier League 5
- Southampton sign Toby Alderweireld, add $18 million winger Sadio Mane 0