Aug 17, 2013, 9:40 AM EST
It was a rainy day at Anfield, but Liverpool held its home turf thanks to Daniel Sturridge’s goal and a brilliant save by keeper Simon Mignolet for a 1-0 victory against Stoke City. He saved a penalty from Jonathan Walters after a clear handball by Daniel Agger.
A Stoke free kick in the 87th minute saw Liverpool defender Agger inexplicably raise his hand to block the shot after it cleared the wall, and referee Martin Atkinson gave the penalty right away. Walters shot it left, and Mignolet dove to keep it out.
New Stoke manager Mark Hughes unveiled his new passing side, but the club used to long ball attacking was shaky at best and often forced back deep in their own half by the bright Liverpool attack.
Recent signings for Liverpool performed well in their debuts. Iago Aspas impressed up front, as he linked up with fellow attackmen Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho up front. New defender Kolo Toure, fresh off his free transfer from Manchester City, also impressed at the back and clanged a header off the Stoke post as well.
Stoke City keeper Asmir Begovic, despite tons of interest from elsewhere, remained with the Potters and kept Liverpool at bay for the most part, despite little to no help from his back line. The Bosnian did all he could to keep the scoreline respectable despite domination by the Liverpool attack.
Stoke threw men forward in the final 15 minutes, and almost had their shock equalizer if not for Mignolet’s heroics.
The first three points of the season will be massive for Liverpool as they look to cope with the absence – either short-term or long – of embattled striker Luis Suarez. They head to Aston Villa next week before hosting Manchester United.
Stoke City: Asmir Begovic; Erik Peters, Robert Huth, Ryan Shawcross, Geoff Cameron; Glenn Whelan (Charlie Adam, 63′), Marc Wilson, Steven Nzonzi; Jonathan Walters, Peter Crouch (Kenwyne Jones, 81′), Matthew Etherington (Jermaine Pennant, 63′).
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0
- After “two points dropped” at Aston Villa, Wayne Rooney says media was driving title talk 0
- Southampton 3-0 Everton: Saints hammer Toffees to end slide 0
- Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester United: Falcao header equals Benteke’s stunner, 10-man Villans hang on for point 1