Liverpool 1 – Stoke City 0: Mignolet’s heroics on penalty saves Reds (Video)

Aug 17, 2013, 9:40 AM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-LIVERPOOL-STOKE Getty Images

It was a rainy day at Anfield, but Liverpool held its home turf thanks to Daniel Sturridge’s goal and a brilliant save by keeper Simon Mignolet for a 1-0 victory against Stoke City. He saved a penalty from Jonathan Walters after a clear handball by Daniel Agger.

A Stoke free kick in the 87th minute saw Liverpool defender Agger inexplicably raise his hand to block the shot after it cleared the wall, and referee Martin Atkinson gave the penalty right away. Walters shot it left, and Mignolet dove to keep it out.

New Stoke manager Mark Hughes unveiled his new passing side, but the club used to long ball attacking was shaky at best and often forced back deep in their own half by the bright Liverpool attack.

Recent signings for Liverpool performed well in their debuts. Iago Aspas impressed up front, as he linked up with fellow attackmen Sturridge and Philippe Coutinho up front. New defender Kolo Toure, fresh off his free transfer from Manchester City, also impressed at the back and clanged a header off the Stoke post as well.

Stoke City keeper Asmir Begovic, despite tons of interest from elsewhere, remained with the Potters and kept Liverpool at bay for the most part, despite little to no help from his back line. The Bosnian did all he could to keep the scoreline respectable despite domination by the Liverpool attack.

Stoke threw men forward in the final 15 minutes, and almost had their shock equalizer if not for Mignolet’s heroics.

The first three points of the season will be massive for Liverpool as they look to cope with the absence – either short-term or long – of embattled striker Luis Suarez. They head to Aston Villa next week before hosting Manchester United.

Lineups:

Liverpool: Simon Mignolet; Glen Johnson, Jose Enrique, Kolo Toure, Daniel Agger; Steven Gerrard, Jordan Henderson, Lucas; Iago Aspas (Raheem Sterling 72′), Philippe Coutinho, Daniel Sturridge.

Stoke City: Asmir Begovic; Erik Peters, Robert Huth, Ryan Shawcross, Geoff Cameron; Glenn Whelan (Charlie Adam, 63′), Marc Wilson, Steven Nzonzi; Jonathan Walters, Peter Crouch (Kenwyne Jones, 81′), Matthew Etherington (Jermaine Pennant, 63′).

1. billobrienschindimple - Aug 17, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Great result to start the season. Nerve times at the end, sign in pulled out a massive stop. That they would have inevitably going the wrong way.

I just want to say thank you to NBC. Absolutely fantastic broadcast presentation. I was concerned that you may make the broadcast a little too ESPN. You did very well with the choice in an ounce urs and hosts and letting the game speaks for itself. Being able to listen to the Kop belt out you’ll never walk alone in its entirety was an absolute joy. Kudos again, and I believe that NBC getting broadcast rights for the Premier League are going to be an invaluable step in the United States soccer evolution. A common theme discussed between myself and others during my coaching days was how little soccer was watched by United States youth soccer players. Having access to every game in the Premier League is going to do a lot to increase viewership, which in turn increases overall general knowledge of the game. Great days ahead.

2. footballer4ever - Aug 17, 2013 at 11:28 AM

I was so excited for the start of the premier league that i woke up early , turned on my tv and tuned in vis my laptop too. I watched the first half and by the stary of the second half i decided to walk my labrador dog while watching the game on my phone. I did not get to walk past my block…..when i spotted 2 loose pitbull or rotweiller on the corner of the next block which i was about to change paths instead. In short, my dog got bitten while i tried to assist. In short, i took my dog to the veterinary and i am at the hospital myself. Hope not to miss the ManU vs Swansea match later on.

• midtec2005 - Aug 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM

Well that sounds like an awful start to the day… hope you and your dog are not too bad off.

• footballer4ever - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:42 PM

@ Midtec2005

Thanks for your kind well wishes…..Very classy of you, my friend.

I am okay except for a few injuries and a not so deep bite by my wrist. My dog in the other hand got the worse part of the rage as her skin got ripped open down by her stomach and she was taken to the immediately to the vet to get her healed.

As far as football goes, only got to enjoy the first half of the LFV vs Stokes match, missed the Arsenal game, but got to see the first two ManU goals from ManU while at the hospital, but had to stop as my phone battery was low.

All in all, not a good day to start to the day and the football season, but glad to see how wonderfully and respectfully good job NBC is doing with EPL and I wish it trickles down to MLS as well.

A football friendly drink to you, mate! :)

3. navyeoddavee9 - Aug 17, 2013 at 1:49 PM

Liverpool headed for a 7th or 8th place finish!

4. konmtu - Aug 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM

The broadcast was good. Very similar to Fox’s. Letting us listen to YNWA was good, but the mics near the Stoke section needed to ne potted down. They made it sound like the Liverpool fans were being drowned out.

• footballer4ever - Aug 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

That was exactly what I thought…..for a game being played in Liverpool, Stoke fans could be heard louder while the YNWA theme played. I know there’s rivalry in football, but football club themes like National anthems should be respected by both rivals. After that, scream and shout until your throat becomes horsey. Just my $0.02 cents or in this case my 0.02 Steling Pounds ;)

5. eireplusalba - Aug 17, 2013 at 4:08 PM

It was Martin Atkinson officiating this game. Not Mark Clattenburg.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?