Aug 17, 2013, 8:20 PM EDT
On the one hand, the “assist” is a great statistical category, a fine example of an American contribution to the world’s game. You’re welcome, world.
On the other hand, like most statistics in sports, this one is flawed in some ways. Here’s a great “for-instance:”
Montreal’s Justin Mapp gets an official assist on the first goal of MLS Round 25, late in the first half at Stade Saputo against visiting D.C. United. And it was good work, indeed, from the man whose career is enjoying a second life after a couple of seasons in decline.
But teammate Felipe Martins (pictured) will not get an assist, and what a shame that is. Watch his wonderful dummy run to the near post, freeing up Marco Di Vaio in behind by drawing not one, but two defenders away and freezing yet another.
Di Vaio finished clinically for his 12th goal this year, which is third best at the time of this posting.
As for Felipe (he goes by Felipe): he’ll need to happy knowing his good work went a long way to a 1-0 halftime lead for the Impact over D.C. United.
- Netherlands and Roma on alert after Kevin Strootman carted off against Napoli 0
- Quick Six: Chelsea’s second halves, Fulham helps Cardiff, and the rest of the headlines from this weekend’s Premier League action 0
- Americans Abroad Review: Boyd and Johannsson shine again 1
- WATCH: Saturday’s top 5 goals in Major League Soccer 0
- MLS roundup: Houston, Vancouver sit on top of their conferences after day one 0
- Rare bad night from Robbie Keane costs LA Galaxy against Real Salt Lake 1
- Will Johnson: We Weren't all Quite at the Races
- Owners Legal Issues Have Caught Up to Queretaro
- Juventus Prove They Know how to Win Despite Weak Performance Against Fiore
- Liverpool is Ready to Spend $100 Million in Summer Transfers
- Dallas Manage 3-2 Win in Season Opener Against Impact
- Dynamo Shut Out the Revs as Bruin Scores a Pair
- Argentine Melodies Illuminate Rainy Night in Portland
- LA Galaxy Gift Real Salt Lake Three Points in Season Opener
- Berhalter Gets First Win as Columbus Downs D.C. United 3-0
- Colorado Rapids - 3 Hopes and One Fear