Aug 17, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
On the heels of a scoreless first half, Damien Duff powered a corner to the far post, and Kasami out-muscled Sunderland defender Valentin Roberge to get a head on the ball and put it past goalkeeper Kieren Westwood.
Ruiz has just recently returned from international duty, so he was replaced by Kasami in the starting lineup for the season opener.
- Top seven moments that defined Chelsea’s championship season 0
- Chelsea crowned Premier League champions in record fashion 0
- Chelsea 1-0 Crystal Palace: Hazard goal fittingly clinches Premier League title (video) 0
- MLS roundup: Revs, D.C. United rule the East; Timbers, Whitecaps split points 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 2-0 Columbus Crew SC 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Chelsea chases coronation clincher, Spurs host Man City 0