Aug 17, 2013, 1:16 PM EST
It wasn’t the first goal of the 2013-2014 season – that honor belongs to Daniel Sturridge, who scored for Liverpool in the first match on Saturday – but Robin Van Persie gets on the scoreboard with the first goal of the Manchester United season.
Van Persie’s goal went against the run of play, as Swansea were making last year’s title winners look more than a bit foolish. It seemed the hosts were the ones more likely to take the lead before the halftime whistle, before the Swans lost the ball in midfield. Manchester United took advantage, racing up toward goal. The end result was a magnificent goal from Van Persie, with the Dutchman in full stretch. His acrobatic right-footed toe poke sailed right by Michel Vorm to put the visitors ahead 1-0.
(Photo credit: Getty Images)
But as if that weren’t enough to break Swansea’s spirit, Danny Welbeck scored just two minutes later. Antonio Valencia jumped on a misheader from Van Persie, slotting over to Welbeck who neatly knocked it into the net. With just 36 minutes gone, United had a 2-0 lead, and David Moyes was breathing a huge sigh of relief.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:26 AM EST
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Young says, but “for me, the referees have made decisions and that’s it.”
Dec 12, 2013, 9:15 AM EST
Would Moyes really loan Zaha to a competitor like Everton or Newcastle?
Dec 12, 2013, 8:01 AM EST
When looking back at the biggest UK Twitter “surges” of 2013 there is one topic that dominates the landscape: footy.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:46 PM EST
You can’t been drawn against a team from your own federation – a rule that will hurt Arsenal, Manchester City on Monday.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:24 PM EST
The defenses need to get better in both places. A lot better:
No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11
Dec 11, 2013, 9:23 PM EST
A little social media brush fire over the new Miami expansion outfit was promptly, mercifully extinguished:
Dec 11, 2013, 8:33 PM EST
Highlights from all Wednesday’s games, which saw Barça’s newest start break out, Italy’s reigning champions eliminated.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:46 PM EST
Once you narrow the list to 15 or so, it’s nearly impossible to decide from there:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
That assumes, of course, that the former U.S. manager was ever a serious candidate:
Dec 11, 2013, 6:11 PM EST
Tough draws await Arsenal, Manchester City in the knockout round.
Dec 11, 2013, 5:31 PM EST
Demba Ba’s 10th minute goal was enough to give Chelsea Group E.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:47 PM EST
Brazilian star’s hat trick helps Barcelona rout Celtic, claim first in Group H.
Dec 11, 2013, 4:43 PM EST
One good club from Group F was bound to be odd team out on Wednesday as Champions League group play finished with a high-wire tension.
Dec 11, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
There’s more to “coaching discussions” right now in domestic soccer than those four MLS openings:
Dec 11, 2013, 2:31 PM EST
He keeps performing for “club” … but when it will translate to performance for “country?”
Dec 11, 2013, 2:15 PM EST
Hull chairman Assem Allam is ready to risk backlash with choice comments and a formal application for name change.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:45 PM EST
From East Coast goalkeeper to West Coast coach in under five hours.
Dec 11, 2013, 1:28 PM EST
Which venues will the USA be playing in next summer? We take an in-depth look at them, right here:
Dec 11, 2013, 1:12 PM EST
Next stop: politicians. David Beckham’s bid for a stadium in Miami is moving ahead.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
- UK Twitter chat in 2013 dominated by soccer. Good thing or bad thing? 1
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 2
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 1
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"