Aug 17, 2013, 12:27 PM EST
Manchester United travel to Liberty Stadium to begin their title defense against Swansea. The match starts at 12:30 p.m. ET.
The big news, of course, is that Wayne Rooney starts this match on the bench. But considering all the speculation over his supposed move away from United, even the fact that he traveled with the team is significant. Rooney’s presence doesn’t quell speculation about his future, but it may give an added boost to his side.
And despite a win over Championship side Wigan in last week’s Community Shield, David Moyes is still under pressure to prove his worth. An opening day victory over Swansea will help, but the Welsh side, for their part, are determined to build on last season’s success. They’ve strengthened their side with the record signing of Wilfried Bony, but the Ivorian doesn’t make the starting XI. New boys Jonjo Shelvey and Jose Canas do, however.
As Manchester United begin their title defense, watch live here on NBC Sports Live Extra.
And discuss the talking points of the game as it happens, right here on ProSoccerTalk.
- Some very interesting names now available through Major League Soccer’s re-entry process 0
- Premier League Playback: Everton in the mix, miserable Mourinho, basement boys battling 0
- United States national team 2014 friendlies coming into view 2
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors (video) 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014