Aug 17, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Manchester United travel to Liberty Stadium to begin their title defense against Swansea. The match starts at 12:30 p.m. ET.
The big news, of course, is that Wayne Rooney starts this match on the bench. But considering all the speculation over his supposed move away from United, even the fact that he traveled with the team is significant. Rooney’s presence doesn’t quell speculation about his future, but it may give an added boost to his side.
And despite a win over Championship side Wigan in last week’s Community Shield, David Moyes is still under pressure to prove his worth. An opening day victory over Swansea will help, but the Welsh side, for their part, are determined to build on last season’s success. They’ve strengthened their side with the record signing of Wilfried Bony, but the Ivorian doesn’t make the starting XI. New boys Jonjo Shelvey and Jose Canas do, however.
As Manchester United begin their title defense, watch live here on NBC Sports Live Extra.
And discuss the talking points of the game as it happens, right here on ProSoccerTalk.
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 4
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 3