Aug 17, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Manchester United travel to Liberty Stadium to begin their title defense against Swansea. The match starts at 12:30 p.m. ET.
The big news, of course, is that Wayne Rooney starts this match on the bench. But considering all the speculation over his supposed move away from United, even the fact that he traveled with the team is significant. Rooney’s presence doesn’t quell speculation about his future, but it may give an added boost to his side.
And despite a win over Championship side Wigan in last week’s Community Shield, David Moyes is still under pressure to prove his worth. An opening day victory over Swansea will help, but the Welsh side, for their part, are determined to build on last season’s success. They’ve strengthened their side with the record signing of Wilfried Bony, but the Ivorian doesn’t make the starting XI. New boys Jonjo Shelvey and Jose Canas do, however.
As Manchester United begin their title defense, watch live here on NBC Sports Live Extra.
And discuss the talking points of the game as it happens, right here on ProSoccerTalk.
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0