Aug 17, 2013, 2:23 PM EDT
It seemed like it was all over for Swansea City. Manchester United took the lead at 34 minutes from a lovely goal by Robin Van Persie, and Danny Welbeck made it 2-0 two minutes later. Wayne Rooney‘s addition brought a third goal in the 72nd minute, when the out of favor forward executed a perfect run that allowed Van Persie enough space to send in a brilliant left-footed strike.
But in the 82nd minute, the home side managed to pull one back through Wilfried Bony, on at the start of the second half. Manchester United practically gave the goal to the Swans, as both Welbeck and Tom Cleverley failed to clear the ball at their feet. Pablo Hernanez, also in at the start of the half, slipped in between the defense to take back possession for Swansea. He neatly slotted the ball over to Bony, whose clinical finish gave Swansea their first goal of the 2013-2014 Premier League season.
The Ivorian’s presence may not have rescued any points for his new side, but a goal on his league debut, combined with Europa League goals earlier in August, shows he’s likely worth the club’s record £12m paid for the signing.
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0
- MUST SEE: Wesley Sneijder scores two wonder goals 2