Aug 17, 2013, 6:20 PM EST
It will be interesting to watch the reaction tonight during introductions at sold-out BBVA Compass Stadium, where U.S. international Clint Dempsey will make his second MLS appearance of 2013, likely starting for Sigi Schmid’s Sounders against Houston.
Dempsey is from the East Texas town of Nacogdoches, about two hours and change from the Houston Dynamo’s orange-washed downtown ground.
Early reports indicated Dempsey and his massive asking price may have been dangled before the Dynamo. The Dynamo, under partial ownership of boxer Oscar de la Hoya, don’t generally have the big money trees growing around the facility the way Seattle and Los Angeles seem to. So that was never going to happen.
In fact, Dynamo management quickly said that if Dempsey was ever available for the Orange, that’s news to them.
Still, you wonder about the reaction of Dynamo fans, about whether any hard feelings linger? (Unfair though they may be; maybe the Dynamo fans don’t read ProSoccerTalk as much as they should?)
It will also be interesting as we continue to watch what the Dempsey Delirium does to impact road attendance. It’s a big myth around MLS that namey names like Dempsey’s will move the attendance needle in a significant way. David Beckham did – but he’s a fairly unique figure, a true global icon. A few others have, but even then in mostly underwhelming measures.
Tonight’s match at BBVA Compass Stadium is sold out, but that’s not exactly unusual. Houston averages 19,916 per match this year, about 2,000 under capacity.
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 4
- WATCH: Premier League TV Schedule – Week 29 0
- MLS Preview: Seattle Sounders vs. Sporting Kansas City 0
- Everton is Focused on Beating Arsenal
- Moyes and Martinez Back Cleverley
- Luis Suarez Continues to Say the Right Things
- RSL 2014 Season Preview
- Portland Timbers Season Preview
- Toronto FC Season Preview
- Duvall, Oyongo & Stevenson Sign Contracts with NY Red Bulls
- Moyes Writes Open Letter to Man United Fans
- San Jose Earthquakes: Players To Watch In 2014 Season
- A Good Start Would Go A Long Way for the Chicago Fire