Aug 18, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
The match was largely a stalemate, even dominated possession-wise by the home side at some stages, but the Whites took their one opportunity as Pajtim Kasami headed home the winner early in the second half.
Altidore believes his side can perform better, but ultimately they need to focus on taking advantage of opportunities.
“This is how this league is,” the American told Sunderland’s official website. “One chance, one goal and they go home with the three points. “We need to do a better job of not giving away anything. It’s difficult at this level but we need to do better, create more chances and try to bury them.
“This is the best league in the world and that’s why it can be so cruel.”
Despite the match which fiery Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio claimed his side were not “nasty” enough, it wasn’t all negative for Altidore, and they’ll be looking to bring though with them moving forward.
“At the same time, we have to take the positives away from the game, move on to the next match and try to get three points.”
Jozy remained professional concerning his own performance.
“I thought I did alright, but there’s always lots of room to improve” Altidore said. “It’s tough to look at the positives when you lose but I thought we created some chances.”
- Liverpool complete $17 million signing of Belgian striker Divock Origi 1
- Tim Howard joins NBC Sports’ Premier League broadcast team on multi-year deal 11
- VIDEO: US stars fight – Omar Gonzalez vs. Clint Dempsey, DeAndre Yedlin 4
- Manchester United’s Luke Shaw trains on his own, told he’s “not fit enough” 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 LA Galaxy 2
- Premier, Champions League quotas leave Mourinho desperate to sell Torres 6