Aug 18, 2013, 10:21 AM EDT
The match was largely a stalemate, even dominated possession-wise by the home side at some stages, but the Whites took their one opportunity as Pajtim Kasami headed home the winner early in the second half.
Altidore believes his side can perform better, but ultimately they need to focus on taking advantage of opportunities.
“This is how this league is,” the American told Sunderland’s official website. “One chance, one goal and they go home with the three points. “We need to do a better job of not giving away anything. It’s difficult at this level but we need to do better, create more chances and try to bury them.
“This is the best league in the world and that’s why it can be so cruel.”
Despite the match which fiery Sunderland boss Paolo Di Canio claimed his side were not “nasty” enough, it wasn’t all negative for Altidore, and they’ll be looking to bring though with them moving forward.
“At the same time, we have to take the positives away from the game, move on to the next match and try to get three points.”
Jozy remained professional concerning his own performance.
“I thought I did alright, but there’s always lots of room to improve” Altidore said. “It’s tough to look at the positives when you lose but I thought we created some chances.”
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 0
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 1
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1
- Barcelona’s transfer ban suspended by FIFA, should allow club to make summer moves 0
- Champions League preview: Defending champion Bayern Munich looks to end Real Madrid quest for 10th title 0
- Alex Ferguson backed David Moyes’ firing, will help select a successor 0