Aug 18, 2013, 2:41 PM EDT
Southampton have completed the signing of Roma striker Pablo Osvaldo for a club-record £15 million ($23.5 million), with the player agreeing to a four-year deal.
The Saints have been following the wantaway striker for a while now, and while Roma’s valuation of their player priced clubs like Fulham out of the move, Southampton were willing to pay up.
Apparently the Premier League club has had a deal in place with the player for a while, and the two teams spent the last week just trying to hash out a final transfer fee.
Osvaldo will now either compete with or play alongside Rickie Lambert up front, who has had a stellar last few weeks marking his England international debut with a winning goal and scoring a late winner for Southampton Saturday in their season opener.
The 27-year-old has bagged 27 goals in 55 appearances for Roma. A Serie A veteran with three different clubs, he’s also played in Spain’s Primera Division for two years with Espanyol.
It’s a fabulous signing for Southampton, but also an incredibly risky one for such a newly-promoted club to have spent so much money on a single player. In fact, they’ve bought just three players this transfer window in Osvaldo, Victor Wanyama, and Dejan Lovern – but each one has cost at least £10 million ($15.6 million).
- Southampton’s new Canadian Chairman chats growth in North America, NHL roots, Saints’ future 0
- American soccer mourns the death of former MLS player Shawn Kuykendall, 32 0
- Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney muses on captaincies, laments Liverpool’s strong season 1
- Robben and Wenger have war of words in latest Champions League diving debate 2
- Arsenal’s Ozil out for “at least a few weeks” after injury in Champions League 0
- Preview: Barcelona, Manchester City stumble into Champions League second leg; PSG set to rest Ibrahimovic 0
- Shawn Kuykendall, Former D.C. United Player, Dies at 32
- UEFA Investigate Bayern Munich's Kosovo Related Banner
- Arsenal's $64m Midfielder Strikes Out Again
- CR7 is a Superstar Both on and Off the Pitch
- Pareja Could Have Decision Looming at D-Mid
- Quakes Hit 94th Minute Goal to Tie Toluca in CONCACAF CL
- For the Red Bulls, Mistakes are Better Early Than Late
- If Man City Ever Stood a Chance, it’s Right Now
- Strootman Loss Detrimental to Roma
- Rooney Reveals Desire to Captain United and England