Aug 18, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
“Coentrão has requested to leave, so he will not play tomorrow” said Ancelotti. “The rest of the players are happy to be here.”
The 25-year-old Portugese defender has featured in just 36 La Liga matches in his two seasons at Real Madrid following a €30 million ($40 million) move from Benfica.
Coentrao has been rumored to be a player offered by Madrid to Tottenham in exchange for Gareth Bale, but the defender has stated his desire to play for a team in the Champions League, which would make it difficult for Spurs to convince him to join.
The move would leave only Marcelo remaining in the left-back position for Real Madrid, with Alvaro Arbeloa often coming in temporarily from his natural position on the other side.
- Julian Draxler’s stunning performance puts Chelsea, Premier League on high alert 0
- Yaya Toure’s lackluster display stands out as Manchester City struggle 3
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Roma, Porto win big; Chelsea, PSG slip up 0
- Chelsea 1-1 Schalke 04: Huntelaar secures point for the underdogs 0
- Bayern Munich 1-0 Manchester City: Last-gasp win for Bayern in Bavaria 2
- Men In Blazers podcast: A happy PL return, while Spencer Lanning talks ‘football’ 0