Aug 18, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
“Coentrão has requested to leave, so he will not play tomorrow” said Ancelotti. “The rest of the players are happy to be here.”
The 25-year-old Portugese defender has featured in just 36 La Liga matches in his two seasons at Real Madrid following a €30 million ($40 million) move from Benfica.
Coentrao has been rumored to be a player offered by Madrid to Tottenham in exchange for Gareth Bale, but the defender has stated his desire to play for a team in the Champions League, which would make it difficult for Spurs to convince him to join.
The move would leave only Marcelo remaining in the left-back position for Real Madrid, with Alvaro Arbeloa often coming in temporarily from his natural position on the other side.
- USA drop five places in latest FIFA world rankings; England on the up 0
- Despite their struggles, Liverpool’s season intact as spirit shines through 3
- Champions League roundup: Arsenal, Atletico Madrid through, tense elsewhere 3
- Ludogorets 2-2 Liverpool: Late equalizer spells more misery for Reds, but there’s hope 1
- Men in Blazers podcast: Kyle Martino joins to talk Thanksgiving and tie knots 0
- Champions League Wednesday preview: Arsenal can advance, Liverpool need kick-start 1