Aug 18, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
“Coentrão has requested to leave, so he will not play tomorrow” said Ancelotti. “The rest of the players are happy to be here.”
The 25-year-old Portugese defender has featured in just 36 La Liga matches in his two seasons at Real Madrid following a €30 million ($40 million) move from Benfica.
Coentrao has been rumored to be a player offered by Madrid to Tottenham in exchange for Gareth Bale, but the defender has stated his desire to play for a team in the Champions League, which would make it difficult for Spurs to convince him to join.
The move would leave only Marcelo remaining in the left-back position for Real Madrid, with Alvaro Arbeloa often coming in temporarily from his natural position on the other side.
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 2
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 2