Aug 18, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
“Coentrão has requested to leave, so he will not play tomorrow” said Ancelotti. “The rest of the players are happy to be here.”
The 25-year-old Portugese defender has featured in just 36 La Liga matches in his two seasons at Real Madrid following a €30 million ($40 million) move from Benfica.
Coentrao has been rumored to be a player offered by Madrid to Tottenham in exchange for Gareth Bale, but the defender has stated his desire to play for a team in the Champions League, which would make it difficult for Spurs to convince him to join.
The move would leave only Marcelo remaining in the left-back position for Real Madrid, with Alvaro Arbeloa often coming in temporarily from his natural position on the other side.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 4
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 12
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 3