Aug 18, 2013, 9:59 AM EST
“Coentrão has requested to leave, so he will not play tomorrow” said Ancelotti. “The rest of the players are happy to be here.”
The 25-year-old Portugese defender has featured in just 36 La Liga matches in his two seasons at Real Madrid following a €30 million ($40 million) move from Benfica.
Coentrao has been rumored to be a player offered by Madrid to Tottenham in exchange for Gareth Bale, but the defender has stated his desire to play for a team in the Champions League, which would make it difficult for Spurs to convince him to join.
The move would leave only Marcelo remaining in the left-back position for Real Madrid, with Alvaro Arbeloa often coming in temporarily from his natural position on the other side.
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 3
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Trafford 0
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Congo, Equatorial Guinea victorious in group finales, advance 0
- FA Cup Roundup: Upsets halted with West Ham, Villa, Arsenal wins 1
- Rodgers says Balotelli needs to vastly improve before playing for Liverpool 1