Aug 18, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
Robbie Keane is pressing his case for league MVP, finding his top gear at just about the same point as last year, when the Ireland international shepherded his team into the playoffs from well back in the field.
Keane scored three times Saturday as the Galaxy rallied from a goal behind crush visiting Real Salt Lake at the StubHubCenter, 4-2. One of RSL’s goals came at the final whistle, surely a bummer for the home side, which conceded yet another set piece goal.
Still, the night will be remembered what Keane accomplished, especially as it came against the current Western Conference leaders. It was his second hat trick this year and, unusually, the second in consecutive matches for the Galaxy. Landon Donovan did the hat trick thing last week against FC Dallas.
Omar Gonzalez had the Galaxy’s other goal Saturday, a significant happening coming just three nights after signing a whopper three-year deal that makes him the Galaxy’s third and final Designated Player.
Keane has 10 goals and 9, which means he has contributed to more goals than any MLS player this year.
- Third time’s the harm: Fan violence forces abandonment of Trabzonspor’s match with Fenerbahce 1
- If you had Pepe Reina in your “European star rumored for MLS” pool today, you win! 0
- US women lose second straight for first time since 2001 after ugly 5-3 defeat to Denmark 4
- Premier League Playback: Fifth place finish for Man United? Superstar Shaw, Arsenal’s big chance 0
- Bayern Munich star Toni Kroos fails to rule out Manchester United move 6
- Manchester United set to bid $50 million for Southampton’s star duo 0
- TV Ratings for MLS Season Opener Increase 283% in 1 Year
- Liga MX Radar: Michael Arroyo Scores a Quad
- Sounders FC Monday Morning Breakdown
- Maidana Stars in Impressive Philly Newbie Trio
- Barnsley Send Brek Shea Back to Stoke after Fight with Fan
- Yanks in Mexico: Torres Scores in Tigres Win, Garza Gives Solid Display
- Julio Cesar Put his Semester in Toronto at Risk
- Getafe Fire Luis Garcia, Hire Cosmin Contra as New Manager
- Former Sounders Teammates Rosales and Hurtado Faced off in LA
- The Clock is Ticking for Tim Sherwood at Spurs