Aug 18, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
Robbie Keane is pressing his case for league MVP, finding his top gear at just about the same point as last year, when the Ireland international shepherded his team into the playoffs from well back in the field.
Keane scored three times Saturday as the Galaxy rallied from a goal behind crush visiting Real Salt Lake at the StubHubCenter, 4-2. One of RSL’s goals came at the final whistle, surely a bummer for the home side, which conceded yet another set piece goal.
Still, the night will be remembered what Keane accomplished, especially as it came against the current Western Conference leaders. It was his second hat trick this year and, unusually, the second in consecutive matches for the Galaxy. Landon Donovan did the hat trick thing last week against FC Dallas.
Omar Gonzalez had the Galaxy’s other goal Saturday, a significant happening coming just three nights after signing a whopper three-year deal that makes him the Galaxy’s third and final Designated Player.
Keane has 10 goals and 9, which means he has contributed to more goals than any MLS player this year.
- Three things we learned from Arsenal vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 0-0 Chelsea: Organized Blues defending effectively ends title race 0
- Who were the biggest snubs in PFA’s Premier League Team of the Season selections? 4
- PFA Team of the Year announced: 6 Blues lead the way 0
- VIDEO: Premier League Sunday preview – Arsenal vs. Chelsea, Everton vs. Manchester United 0
- MLS roundup: 20 goals in 4 games Saturday night — WATCH THEM ALL! 1