Aug 18, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
Robbie Keane is pressing his case for league MVP, finding his top gear at just about the same point as last year, when the Ireland international shepherded his team into the playoffs from well back in the field.
Keane scored three times Saturday as the Galaxy rallied from a goal behind crush visiting Real Salt Lake at the StubHubCenter, 4-2. One of RSL’s goals came at the final whistle, surely a bummer for the home side, which conceded yet another set piece goal.
Still, the night will be remembered what Keane accomplished, especially as it came against the current Western Conference leaders. It was his second hat trick this year and, unusually, the second in consecutive matches for the Galaxy. Landon Donovan did the hat trick thing last week against FC Dallas.
Omar Gonzalez had the Galaxy’s other goal Saturday, a significant happening coming just three nights after signing a whopper three-year deal that makes him the Galaxy’s third and final Designated Player.
Keane has 10 goals and 9, which means he has contributed to more goals than any MLS player this year.
- Three things we learned from Real Madrid’s win vs. Bayern Munich 0
- Benzema goal holds up as Real Madrid claim 1-0 lead over Bayern Munich 0
- Major League Soccer Power Rankings – Week 7 1
- Moyes statement on dismissal; Reports say he was recruiting to the end 2
- Head coach Marc Wilmots says Adnan Januzaj will play for Belgium 2
- Who’s in across Europe? Glancing at the 2014/15 UEFA Champions League 1