Aug 18, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
Robbie Keane is pressing his case for league MVP, finding his top gear at just about the same point as last year, when the Ireland international shepherded his team into the playoffs from well back in the field.
Keane scored three times Saturday as the Galaxy rallied from a goal behind crush visiting Real Salt Lake at the StubHubCenter, 4-2. One of RSL’s goals came at the final whistle, surely a bummer for the home side, which conceded yet another set piece goal.
Still, the night will be remembered what Keane accomplished, especially as it came against the current Western Conference leaders. It was his second hat trick this year and, unusually, the second in consecutive matches for the Galaxy. Landon Donovan did the hat trick thing last week against FC Dallas.
Omar Gonzalez had the Galaxy’s other goal Saturday, a significant happening coming just three nights after signing a whopper three-year deal that makes him the Galaxy’s third and final Designated Player.
Keane has 10 goals and 9, which means he has contributed to more goals than any MLS player this year.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 0
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 4
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3