Aug 18, 2013, 12:40 AM EDT
Robbie Keane is pressing his case for league MVP, finding his top gear at just about the same point as last year, when the Ireland international shepherded his team into the playoffs from well back in the field.
Keane scored three times Saturday as the Galaxy rallied from a goal behind crush visiting Real Salt Lake at the StubHubCenter, 4-2. One of RSL’s goals came at the final whistle, surely a bummer for the home side, which conceded yet another set piece goal.
Still, the night will be remembered what Keane accomplished, especially as it came against the current Western Conference leaders. It was his second hat trick this year and, unusually, the second in consecutive matches for the Galaxy. Landon Donovan did the hat trick thing last week against FC Dallas.
Omar Gonzalez had the Galaxy’s other goal Saturday, a significant happening coming just three nights after signing a whopper three-year deal that makes him the Galaxy’s third and final Designated Player.
Keane has 10 goals and 9, which means he has contributed to more goals than any MLS player this year.
- Switzerland 1-1 USMNT: Another late equalizer cancels out Shea’s stunner 0
- VIDEO: Watch Brek Shea’s stunning free kick for USA against Switzerland 1
- Lineups out for USMNT vs. Switzerland: Williams, Morales, Shea come in; diamond in midfield 2
- VIDEO: Watch Real Madrid’s Gareth Bale dominate NBA’s half court challenge 0
- Study says Lionel Messi top striker in 2015, Cristiano Ronaldo 29th best 3
- USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair 0