Aug 18, 2013, 9:45 AM EDT
New number-9 Roberto Soldado has put Spurs ahead on his competitive debut, converting a penalty in the 51st minute.
Referee Mark Clattenburg gave the penalty, and Soldado stepped right up to take it. Soldado went left, Palace keeper Julian Speroni went right, and Spurs went ahead 1-0.
The Eagles have been scrappy and stubborn for Spurs to deal with, but the first goal should open things up a bit in a match that has been dominated by Spurs on possession but otherwise few chances for either side.
- Report: Manchester United make $45 million bid for Sergio Ramos 3
- Foot injury forces DF Hector Moreno to withdraw from Mexico’s 2015 Gold Cup squad 0
- Chile 2-1 Peru: Vargas’ wondergoal puts the hosts through to Copa America final (video) 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 1
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 5
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3