Aug 19, 2013, 3:06 PM EST
It’s tough to gauge just where Jason Kreis is in ongoing negotiations with Real Salt Lake, where ownership just revealed that contract talks are underway. Kreis’ deal is up at the end of the season.
RSL owner Dell Loy Hansen is saying some wonderful things about his coach, and rightly so. In some ways, Real Salt Lake’s highly successful manager is in a great spot. But in other ways, not so much.
Kreis remains one of the best young minds of the game, just 40 years old but already with a growing cupboard of accomplishments in his only pro coaching assignment to date. (Kreis retired as an RSL player in 2007 to move into the organization’s head coaching position.)
He was the youngest manager to claim an MLS Cup when the Utah side took top honors in 2009. This year, Kreis has guided a young team – one expected to reach “good” but perhaps not “great” – to the pole position in the ongoing Supporters Shield race. Having shed the relatively expensive salaries of Will Johnson, Fabian Espindola and Jamison Olave, that really is quite an accomplishment. And that is not to mention the U.S. Open Cup final coming up in Utah.
Then again, how good is Kreis’ negotiating position? He loves the club. He has a great relationship with GM Garth Lagerwey and has lived in Salt Lake for almost 10 years now. He’s also got some great young talent to build around, so the future at Rio Tinto is nothing to feel badly about.
None of that can be lost on ownership, which will surely want to keep Kreis – but would also surely love to get the discount rate.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 1
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"