Aug 19, 2013, 3:19 PM EST
After a dominant start that saw Newcastle packed into their own end, Manchester City took an early lead on the visiting Magpies, with David Silva heading home from just outside the penalty area to give City a 1-0 lead.
Tim Krul and the Newcastle back line were able to hold off City’s initial forays forward, though a right side of Jesus Navas and Pablo Zabaleta were already tormenting Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa and Fabricio Coloccini. After four minutes, Manchester City had already generated three good chances on goal.
It was through the left, however, that City got on the score sheet. That’s where Edin Dzeko, isolated near the byline against Mathieu Debuchy, turned on the Newcastle right back to play a left-footed cross toward the middle of the area. Central defender Steven Taylor was there to block the cross before it reached Tim Krul, but when the deflection went straight the Silva at seven yards out, the Spaniard had an opening net to finish City’s first goal of the season.
It’s been a dominant display thus far from City, with a Yohan Cabaye-less Newcastle looking every bit the road underdog. Down 1-0, the Magpies will need to slow the game down lest they’re run over by one of the Premier League’s title favorites.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)