Aug 19, 2013, 3:54 PM EST
The match has settled down in Manchester, City conformably controlling the game with their 2-0 lead, with seeing one of their core players leave in the 43rd minute, things have gone from bad to worst for Newcastle. Jonas Gutierrez, who started on the left flank, has been removed from the match, going straight to the locker room after Alan Pardew replaced him with Vurnon Anita.
As Gutierrez was able to leave on his own power without a major delay in the match, it was unclear what, exactly, was ailing the Argentine international. Shortly after loosing a footrace with Yaya Touré, however, the 30-year-old winger was leaving the pitch.
Anita’s inclusion isn’t exactly a like-for-like. A central midfielder by trade, Anita joined Moussa Sissoko and Cheick Tioté in the middle of the park, potentially allowing Newcastle to gain a greater hold on the match.
Still, with City proving so strong down the flanks, a potential formation change could pin back Yoan Gouffran and Hatem Ben Afra, giving Newcastle very little chance of getting back into the match.
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (40)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (27)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)