Aug 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The echoes from Arsenal’s Saturday loss were still being felt on Monday. By the time Newcastle took the field at the Etihad, the response from the Gunners’ 3-1 loss to Aston Villa had prompted a bid for Yohan Cabaye, a change in the Magpies lineup (leaving Cabaye out), and a lopsided loss to Manchester City. Yes, Newcastle likely loses even if Arsenal doesn’t bid for Cabaye, but if we’re to believe Alan Pardew, the result may not have been as bad.
Regardless, two days after the Gunners were taken down at the Emirates, we’re still talking about that result, one which would have been surprising under any circumstances. That it came after a summer where Arsenal have failed to spend a reported £70 million war chest has only heightened supporter angst.
That effect makes this an easy choice for the weekend’s Headline Moment: Aston Villa throwing Arsenal into early turmoil.
- Liverpool and AC Milan in talks over deal for Mario Balotelli 1
- Atlanta’s new MLS franchise has already sold 14,000 season tickets 7
- No signings in 2015: Barcelona’s transfer ban upheld, FIFA rejects appeal 3
- Report: Tottenham set to raid Manchester United, line up Fellaini, Hernandez deals 6
- Spanish Super Cup: Late goal allows Atlético to claim first leg draw at Real Madrid 0
- UEFA Champions League Roundup: Arsenal held; Athletic takes 1-1 draw out of Naples 1