Aug 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EDT
The echoes from Arsenal’s Saturday loss were still being felt on Monday. By the time Newcastle took the field at the Etihad, the response from the Gunners’ 3-1 loss to Aston Villa had prompted a bid for Yohan Cabaye, a change in the Magpies lineup (leaving Cabaye out), and a lopsided loss to Manchester City. Yes, Newcastle likely loses even if Arsenal doesn’t bid for Cabaye, but if we’re to believe Alan Pardew, the result may not have been as bad.
Regardless, two days after the Gunners were taken down at the Emirates, we’re still talking about that result, one which would have been surprising under any circumstances. That it came after a summer where Arsenal have failed to spend a reported £70 million war chest has only heightened supporter angst.
That effect makes this an easy choice for the weekend’s Headline Moment: Aston Villa throwing Arsenal into early turmoil.
- MLS weekend preview: Conference leaders, surging Galaxy take to NBC, NBCSN 0
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 8
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 6
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 2