Aug 19, 2013, 9:11 PM EST
The echoes from Arsenal’s Saturday loss were still being felt on Monday. By the time Newcastle took the field at the Etihad, the response from the Gunners’ 3-1 loss to Aston Villa had prompted a bid for Yohan Cabaye, a change in the Magpies lineup (leaving Cabaye out), and a lopsided loss to Manchester City. Yes, Newcastle likely loses even if Arsenal doesn’t bid for Cabaye, but if we’re to believe Alan Pardew, the result may not have been as bad.
Regardless, two days after the Gunners were taken down at the Emirates, we’re still talking about that result, one which would have been surprising under any circumstances. That it came after a summer where Arsenal have failed to spend a reported £70 million war chest has only heightened supporter angst.
That effect makes this an easy choice for the weekend’s Headline Moment: Aston Villa throwing Arsenal into early turmoil.
- Swansea 1-1 Hull: Danny Graham breaks his long scoring drought for the visitors 0
- Tim Howard on his stunning display vs. Arsenal, Everton’s good form, tough draw for USA 0
- David Moyes takes “complete responsibility” for Manchester United’s shocking start 2
- Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Franck Ribery to battle it out for Ballon d’Or 1
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (33)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (19)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)