Aug 19, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
You’ve already seen the highlights (and if you haven’t, this package will do), but this Monday Review provides a little more perspective to what happened today at the Etihad Stadium.
There, against a Newcastle team hoping 90 minutes in Manchester could distract them from a blossoming controversy, City looked every bit the title contenders they are. Two goals within 22 minutes were doubled after half time, last year’s runners-up finishing with a 4-0 win over the 10-man Magpies.
The Sky Blues were one of nine teams to win this weekend (only one of the round’s 10 games ended in a draw), but thanks to the +4 goal difference they put up against Newcastle, City claim the league’s top spot over rival Manchester United. The Red Devil’s 4-1 win Saturday at the Liberty Stadium left them in good stead to begin the season where they’d ended last’s, but having “only” won by three in Swansea, the defending champions will sit second when they host Chelsea next Monday.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3