Aug 19, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
You’ve already seen the highlights (and if you haven’t, this package will do), but this Monday Review provides a little more perspective to what happened today at the Etihad Stadium.
There, against a Newcastle team hoping 90 minutes in Manchester could distract them from a blossoming controversy, City looked every bit the title contenders they are. Two goals within 22 minutes were doubled after half time, last year’s runners-up finishing with a 4-0 win over the 10-man Magpies.
The Sky Blues were one of nine teams to win this weekend (only one of the round’s 10 games ended in a draw), but thanks to the +4 goal difference they put up against Newcastle, City claim the league’s top spot over rival Manchester United. The Red Devil’s 4-1 win Saturday at the Liberty Stadium left them in good stead to begin the season where they’d ended last’s, but having “only” won by three in Swansea, the defending champions will sit second when they host Chelsea next Monday.
- MLS Roundup: Sounders, D.C. United slip; LA gains ground in the West 0
- Premier League Sunday preview: Man City vs. Chelsea; Everton, Spurs, Man United in action 0
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Southampton win, Liverpool upset 0
- West Ham United 3-1 Liverpool: Early goals send Irons to big upset 2
- Newcastle United 2-2 Hull City: Cisse’s brace saves embattled Magpies (video) 0
- Aston Villa 0-3 Arsenal: Red-hot Ozil, Welbeck fire Gunners to victory (video) 0