Aug 19, 2013, 11:38 PM EST
You’ve already seen the highlights (and if you haven’t, this package will do), but this Monday Review provides a little more perspective to what happened today at the Etihad Stadium.
There, against a Newcastle team hoping 90 minutes in Manchester could distract them from a blossoming controversy, City looked every bit the title contenders they are. Two goals within 22 minutes were doubled after half time, last year’s runners-up finishing with a 4-0 win over the 10-man Magpies.
The Sky Blues were one of nine teams to win this weekend (only one of the round’s 10 games ended in a draw), but thanks to the +4 goal difference they put up against Newcastle, City claim the league’s top spot over rival Manchester United. The Red Devil’s 4-1 win Saturday at the Liberty Stadium left them in good stead to begin the season where they’d ended last’s, but having “only” won by three in Swansea, the defending champions will sit second when they host Chelsea next Monday.
- FA Cup preview: Wembley trips on the line as Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool shoot for semis 0
- Now that it’s happening, MLS’s 20th season is sure to be the best one yet 3
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 1
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 9
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 3