Aug 19, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
After Manchester United’s Saturday victory in Wales, many waxed poetic about Robin van Persie, and not without good cause. Both of the Dutchman’s goals were amazing, one of which made the league’s top five goals of the round.
Yet there was another Red Devil who bagged a brace, and while his goals may not have been entirely overshadowed by van Persie’s pair, Danny Welbeck‘s overall performance has largely been glossed over. Glossed over, that is, by everybody but those at the Premier League, who’ve picked out the England international as Week 1’s Player of the Week.
Welbeck had his own highlight reel finish on Saturday, lobbing Michel Vorm in second half injury time to round out United’s 4-1 win. He finished the match with three shots, completing 33 of 38 passes.
Frank Lampard also had a strong performance for Chelsea, and with his late penalty save to preserve Liverpool’s victory, Simon Mignolet may have justified some consideration. But with two goals in the defending champions’ opening day win, Welbeck’s claimed the first honor of the season.
- Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video) 1
- Arsene Wenger says Arsenal could spend big in January, if the deals are right 0
- Real Madrid outclass San Lorenzo, win 2014 Club World Cup 6
- Premier League Sunday preview: Loaded morning sees Tyne-Wear Derby and Liverpool vs. Arsenal 0
- Premier League roundup: Goals galore as Saints, Tottenham, QPR, Man City win 0
- WATCH: Match of the Day – Recap Saturday’s madness in the Premier League 0