Aug 19, 2013, 9:37 PM EST
After Manchester United’s Saturday victory in Wales, many waxed poetic about Robin van Persie, and not without good cause. Both of the Dutchman’s goals were amazing, one of which made the league’s top five goals of the round.
Yet there was another Red Devil who bagged a brace, and while his goals may not have been entirely overshadowed by van Persie’s pair, Danny Welbeck‘s overall performance has largely been glossed over. Glossed over, that is, by everybody but those at the Premier League, who’ve picked out the England international as Week 1’s Player of the Week.
Welbeck had his own highlight reel finish on Saturday, lobbing Michel Vorm in second half injury time to round out United’s 4-1 win. He finished the match with three shots, completing 33 of 38 passes.
Frank Lampard also had a strong performance for Chelsea, and with his late penalty save to preserve Liverpool’s victory, Simon Mignolet may have justified some consideration. But with two goals in the defending champions’ opening day win, Welbeck’s claimed the first honor of the season.
- 2015 MLS season preview: Real Salt Lake 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: LA Galaxy 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Portland Timbers 0
- PST predicts Major League Soccer’s 2015 standings; Do you agree? 6
- Premier League Playback: With 10 games to go, here’s how things stand 2
- Men In Blazers podcast: Ginormous preview of 2015 MLS season with Alexi Lalas 0