Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 PM EDT
There are a some surprising names in the Premier League’s Best XI for Week 1, though few will be shocked to see Manchester United, Manchester City, and Chelsea are well-represented in the round’s standouts, especially in attack.
Their highlights are above, but here’s why these 11 men made this season’s first Team of the Week:
D: Seamus Coleman, Everton – Scored the Toffees’ second goal as Everton took a point from Carrow Road on Saturday.
D: Brede Hangeland, Fulham – Was key to Fulham preserving their one-goal lead, the Cottagers overcoming the Black Cats’ control, taking full points and a clean sheet from the Stadium of Light.
M: Gabriel Agbonlahor, Aston Villa – Man of the Match at the Emirates on Saturday, Agbonlahor drew the two penalties that sent Villa on their way to their upset.
F: Edin Dezko, Manchester City – Though he only got an assist on one, played an important part in each of City’s first two goals. Was denied a goal of his own by a spectacular Tim Krul save early in Monday’s second half.
F: Robin van Persie, Manchester United – Scored twice as the Red Devils won 4-1 in Wales. An overhead kick opened the Dutch international’s account, while a blast from outside the area completed his double.
F: Danny Welbeck, Manchester United – Welbeck also posted two goals, including a beautiful, late lob of Michel Vorm that made the league’s top five goals. The England international was also named the Player of the Week.
- Premier League player of the week – Round 8 0
- USWNT 6-0 Haiti: Wambach braces US in 90 minute demolition of Haiti 0
- New York Cosmos reportedly sign Spanish legend Raul, will play and coach 0
- Report: It will be Colombia – not Croatia – for USMNT in November 0
- WATCH: West Brom 2-2 Manchester United: Blind earns draw for Red Devils on road 3
- Premier League Playback: Liverpool can’t get rid of Luis Suarez hangover 0