Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 PM EST
There are a some surprising names in the Premier League’s Best XI for Week 1, though few will be shocked to see Manchester United, Manchester City, and Chelsea are well-represented in the round’s standouts, especially in attack.
Their highlights are above, but here’s why these 11 men made this season’s first Team of the Week:
D: Seamus Coleman, Everton - Scored the Toffees’ second goal as Everton took a point from Carrow Road on Saturday.
D: Brede Hangeland, Fulham - Was key to Fulham preserving their one-goal lead, the Cottagers overcoming the Black Cats’ control, taking full points and a clean sheet from the Stadium of Light.
M: Gabriel Agbonlahor, Aston Villa - Man of the Match at the Emirates on Saturday, Agbonlahor drew the two penalties that sent Villa on their way to their upset.
F: Edin Dezko, Manchester City - Though he only got an assist on one, played an important part in each of City’s first two goals. Was denied a goal of his own by a spectacular Tim Krul save early in Monday’s second half.
F: Robin van Persie, Manchester United - Scored twice as the Red Devils won 4-1 in Wales. An overhead kick opened the Dutch international’s account, while a blast from outside the area completed his double.
F: Danny Welbeck, Manchester United - Welbeck also posted two goals, including a beautiful, late lob of Michel Vorm that made the league’s top five goals. The England international was also named the Player of the Week.
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- WATCH: Premier League live on NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 29 0
- Americans Abroad Preview: European-based Americans back in action 0
- PST writers predict the 2014 Major League Soccer standings, do you agree? 3
- After monumental rebuild, Seattle Sounders target MLS Cup title. Can Sigi Schmid bring success? 3
- 2014 Season Preview: Welcome to the last year of MLS 2.0 6
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keeps Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Clash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record
- Captain America to Visit Chivas USA
- Lockout Virus Continues, MLS to Start 2014 with Replacement Refs
- Revs To Rely on Intensity, Depth in Opener vs. Dynamo
- Three Keys & One Standout for Toronto FC
- The John Strong Interview. Part 1 - MLS 2014
- Gonzalo Pineda: ''Playing Outside of Mexico Has Always Been a Goal''