Aug 19, 2013, 11:19 PM EST
There are a some surprising names in the Premier League’s Best XI for Week 1, though few will be shocked to see Manchester United, Manchester City, and Chelsea are well-represented in the round’s standouts, especially in attack.
Their highlights are above, but here’s why these 11 men made this season’s first Team of the Week:
D: Seamus Coleman, Everton – Scored the Toffees’ second goal as Everton took a point from Carrow Road on Saturday.
D: Brede Hangeland, Fulham – Was key to Fulham preserving their one-goal lead, the Cottagers overcoming the Black Cats’ control, taking full points and a clean sheet from the Stadium of Light.
M: Gabriel Agbonlahor, Aston Villa – Man of the Match at the Emirates on Saturday, Agbonlahor drew the two penalties that sent Villa on their way to their upset.
F: Edin Dezko, Manchester City – Though he only got an assist on one, played an important part in each of City’s first two goals. Was denied a goal of his own by a spectacular Tim Krul save early in Monday’s second half.
F: Robin van Persie, Manchester United – Scored twice as the Red Devils won 4-1 in Wales. An overhead kick opened the Dutch international’s account, while a blast from outside the area completed his double.
F: Danny Welbeck, Manchester United – Welbeck also posted two goals, including a beautiful, late lob of Michel Vorm that made the league’s top five goals. The England international was also named the Player of the Week.
- Africa Cup of Nations roundup: Atsu and Bony lead Ghana, Ivory Coast into semis 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: Spurs to snatch Laporte, Liverpool in for Reid 1
- Southampton 0-1 Swansea: Shelvey snatches win with sensational late strike 0
- Arsenal 5-0 Aston Villa: Gunners torch hapless Villa with deadly counters 0
- Diego Costa maintains his innocence, says “I’ve not done anything wrong” 4
- DONE DEAL: Seydou Doumbia to Roma headlines quiet Saturday for transfers 0