Aug 19, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
Picking player of the week around here has become ridiculously easy: you just look to see which LA Galaxy man put three past some flummoxed defense, then move happily on.
Last week it was Landon Donovan. For Round 25, Robbie Keane was the man with the plan, hat trick-wise. (As we mentioned in our weekly MLS rankings, the Galaxy is the first club to record back-to-back hat tricks since 2005.)
Keane had three of the four in his club’s clubbing of Real Salt Lake, a real statement maker as all the ingredients seem to be falling into place for the Galaxy. (Omar Gonzalez getting re-signed, Donovan and Keane finishing the bulk of their international duty for the summer, a possible upgrade in goal, etc.)
Also consider this was against Real Salt Lake, which came into the match with one of the better defensive marks in MLS. (But left with one that now looks decidedly middle class.) Either way, beating U.S. international goalkeeper Nick Rimando and trusty, veteran center back Nat Borchers is no day at nearby Manhattan Beach.
With 10 goals and 9 assists, the Irish international has contributed directly to more strikes than any MLS man.
- UEFA rules set up Arsenal, Manchester City for tough Champions League Round of 16 draws 0
- No, the South Florida team will NOT be “Miami Beckham United;” plus the MLS news roundup for Dec. 11 0
- UEFA Champions League recap: Barça, Chelsea, Dortmund claim groups; Arsenal through; Juve out 0
- Demba Ba’s goal enough to give Chelsea 1-0 Champions League win, first place in Group E 0
- Neymar’s first three Champions League goals see Barcelona to 6-1 win, top of Group H 0
- Arsenal advance in Champions League, but Napoli out despite win 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (16)
- MLS commissioner Don Garber to ESPN: “no chance” Chivas USA to be contracted or moved (14)
- Watch Out Netherlands! Chile-Clan Ain't Nothin' to Mess With!
- Messi on Safe Track to Full Recovery
- The Argentinian Armada, Favorites for Brazil 2014
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"