Aug 19, 2013, 10:11 PM EST
The most influential save of the weekend was undoubtedly Simon Mignolet‘s. Late in Liverpool’s Saturday match against visiting Stoke City, Jonathan Walters had a chance to equalize from the spot. It was a situation where Stoke were almost assured of taking a point (and costing Liverpool two), given the lack of time remaining in the match. Instead, Walter’s attempt into the left of goal was stopped by the Belgian, preserving a full three points for Liverpool on his Anfield debut.
That save is not part of this package, but another of Mignolet’s is. Asmir Begovic (Stoke), Allan McGregor (Hull City), Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham) and Michel Vorm (Swansea City) are also on the list, goalkeepers from a collection of teams that remind us it isn’t necessarily a positive to put your keeper in position for this kind of honor.
Still, given most of these saves come from shots far beyond the penalty area, it’s hard to point too many fingers this weekend. We’ll have to wait for trends to develop.
In the meantime, we can enjoy the stops. Check out the league’s top five saves to see which goalkeeper claimed the top spot.
- Premier League Roundup: Chelsea clear at the top, Manchester United click, Cardiff bag huge win 0
- Watch Live: Sporting Kansas City at Seattle Sounders (Lineups and discussion) 0
- Chelsea 4-0 Tottenham: Blues blitz Spurs to extend their lead at the top 0
- Cardiff City 3-1 Fulham: Bluebirds win the relegation dogfight 0
- David Moyes on Manchester United’s win vs. West Brom: “That’s more like it” 0
- Arsenal 4-1 Everton: Gunners book FA Cup semifinal spot 0
- 2014 MLS Season: Hoping & Fearing with Montreal Impact
- Top Four Serie A Teams to Meet in Couple of Crucial Encounters
- Liverpool Eyeing Valencia Midfielder Dani Parejo
- Barca Have $83M for Transfers Plus Funds Raised from Sold Players
- What am I Watching?: The Paradox of the National Team
- Preview: Seattle Sounders vs Sporting Kansas City
- Liga MX Week 10 Round-Up: Toluca Keep Climbing
- New Look Whitecaps Aim to hit Ground Running Against NY Red Bulls
- Three Star Toluca Dominate in Victory Over Puebla
- Sweden Smash U.S. Women's National Team Undefeated 2-Year Record