Aug 19, 2013, 10:11 PM EST
The most influential save of the weekend was undoubtedly Simon Mignolet‘s. Late in Liverpool’s Saturday match against visiting Stoke City, Jonathan Walters had a chance to equalize from the spot. It was a situation where Stoke were almost assured of taking a point (and costing Liverpool two), given the lack of time remaining in the match. Instead, Walter’s attempt into the left of goal was stopped by the Belgian, preserving a full three points for Liverpool on his Anfield debut.
That save is not part of this package, but another of Mignolet’s is. Asmir Begovic (Stoke), Allan McGregor (Hull City), Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham) and Michel Vorm (Swansea City) are also on the list, goalkeepers from a collection of teams that remind us it isn’t necessarily a positive to put your keeper in position for this kind of honor.
Still, given most of these saves come from shots far beyond the penalty area, it’s hard to point too many fingers this weekend. We’ll have to wait for trends to develop.
In the meantime, we can enjoy the stops. Check out the league’s top five saves to see which goalkeeper claimed the top spot.
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4
- Premier League Sunday preview: Big boys tangle ahead of League Cup final 0
- Bundesliga wrap: Dortmund and Bayern flying high with big goal performances 0
- Premier League roundup: Manchester United go third, tight wins elsewhere 0