Aug 19, 2013, 10:11 PM EDT
The most influential save of the weekend was undoubtedly Simon Mignolet‘s. Late in Liverpool’s Saturday match against visiting Stoke City, Jonathan Walters had a chance to equalize from the spot. It was a situation where Stoke were almost assured of taking a point (and costing Liverpool two), given the lack of time remaining in the match. Instead, Walter’s attempt into the left of goal was stopped by the Belgian, preserving a full three points for Liverpool on his Anfield debut.
That save is not part of this package, but another of Mignolet’s is. Asmir Begovic (Stoke), Allan McGregor (Hull City), Maarten Stekelenburg (Fulham) and Michel Vorm (Swansea City) are also on the list, goalkeepers from a collection of teams that remind us it isn’t necessarily a positive to put your keeper in position for this kind of honor.
Still, given most of these saves come from shots far beyond the penalty area, it’s hard to point too many fingers this weekend. We’ll have to wait for trends to develop.
In the meantime, we can enjoy the stops. Check out the league’s top five saves to see which goalkeeper claimed the top spot.
- Matías Pérez García announced, becomes third Designated Player in San Jose history 0
- Is Everton’s new striker Romelu Lukaku worth $47 million? 1
- Simeone praises Klinsmann’s US program that “seduces us as coaches” 2
- Neymar’s recovery from World Cup back injury “almost 100 percent” 0
- Reports: Jermaine Jones coming to Chicago, move welcomed by Fire 2
- Atlético Madrid latest club linked with Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernández 4