Aug 20, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
CONCACAF officials shrunk the group play element of their Champions League tournament this year – mercifully so for most teams, who found the travel taxing and the financial reward minimal for group play matches that rarely sell well for anyone.
Mexican clubs, with deeper rosters, could better withstand the hit of six group play contests smack in the middle of a long, hot summer. MLS clubs sometimes struggled to deal with the extra matches, however, their rosters quite stretched.
The other side of that equation is that points are precious in the three-team groups (which means just four group play matches), and one bad performance could leave a club’s chances of advancement on the skids.
That’s why Houston’s 0-0 draw with W Connection down in Trinidad on Tuesday night is so important. First, the Trinidadians are probably out, now with just one point from two matches, including one at home. That means it looks like a fight in Group 1 between Houston and Panama’s Arabe Unido.
Houston manager Dominic Kinnear and his club may not be quite satisfied with the draw, but they won’t be unhappy, either, especially considering the Dynamo lineup was fairly heavy with reservists. Houston now has two of its three remaining group stage matches at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off 0
- Manchester City comeback ends Bayern Munich’s record run; defending champions still win Group D 0
- Update: Storm in Istanbul sees Galatasaray-Juventus abandoned in UEFA Champions League 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (20)
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Draw: The sum of all fears scenario for the United States (17)
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit
- Fernanda Lima Raises the Bar For World Cup 2014