Aug 20, 2013, 10:20 PM EST
CONCACAF officials shrunk the group play element of their Champions League tournament this year – mercifully so for most teams, who found the travel taxing and the financial reward minimal for group play matches that rarely sell well for anyone.
Mexican clubs, with deeper rosters, could better withstand the hit of six group play contests smack in the middle of a long, hot summer. MLS clubs sometimes struggled to deal with the extra matches, however, their rosters quite stretched.
The other side of that equation is that points are precious in the three-team groups (which means just four group play matches), and one bad performance could leave a club’s chances of advancement on the skids.
That’s why Houston’s 0-0 draw with W Connection down in Trinidad on Tuesday night is so important. First, the Trinidadians are probably out, now with just one point from two matches, including one at home. That means it looks like a fight in Group 1 between Houston and Panama’s Arabe Unido.
Houston manager Dominic Kinnear and his club may not be quite satisfied with the draw, but they won’t be unhappy, either, especially considering the Dynamo lineup was fairly heavy with reservists. Houston now has two of its three remaining group stage matches at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:34 PM EST
New York City FC is on the verge of getting a palace in the Bronx.
Dec 11, 2013, 12:09 PM EST
What? Roy Keane back down from a fight? Sir Alex and Keano still bitter after all these years.
Dec 11, 2013, 11:33 AM EST
Dwyer suggested a transfer abroad was imminent, but has backtracked.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:54 AM EST
Longtime Revs keeper and Boston Marathon bombing hero retires with 75 clean sheets and 110 wins.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Former Inter star sends Juve down to the Europa League with help from Didier Drogba.
Dec 11, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Who’s hot and who’s not? Check out how the sides stack up after a double dose of action last week:
Dec 11, 2013, 9:50 AM EST
Any takers on these three countries as potential upset-springers in Brazil?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
Could Newcastle set a standard in offering exclusive access to paying media members?
Dec 11, 2013, 8:31 AM EST
Has Wayne Rooney rejected contract talks with Manchester United? Can a suitor pry Vincent Kompany from City? All this and more in Wednesday’s transfer rumor roundup.
Dec 11, 2013, 7:41 AM EST
Man City boss Manuel Pellegrini and goal scorer James Milner apparently in dark over UEFA Champions League tiebreaking rules.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
Relax – the LA Galaxy and U.S. national team’s all-time leading scorer isn’t going anywhere:
Dec 10, 2013, 10:31 PM EST
So the New York Red Bulls’ top organizational man says wants Henry to consider another year after 2014, eh?
Dec 10, 2013, 10:00 PM EST
Chelsea, Arsenal, and Barcelona look to close out their groups, while a qualified Atlético Madrid look to play spoilers in theirs.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:22 PM EST
As long expected, the high successful Real Salt Lake leader will guide Major League Soccer’s 20th franchise:
Dec 10, 2013, 8:41 PM EST
There aren’t many Champions League goal scorers among U.S. internationals, past or present:
Dec 10, 2013, 7:52 PM EST
Manchester United on the right side of a 1-0; Bayern Munich on the wrong end of a two-goal comeback.
Dec 10, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
If this is a central element, it’s not much of one. As a supporting piece, maybe it’s not so bad:
Dec 10, 2013, 6:30 PM EST
Just in time for FIFA’s Ballon d’Or, Ronaldo has blessed the soccer world with one more achievement:
Dec 10, 2013, 5:48 PM EST
Eight teams have booked their places in the knockout rounds, while three clubs got their tickets to Europa League.
A dreaded World Cup draw having arrived, Jurgen Klinsmann’s transformative efforts are about to pay off
Dec 10, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
He wanted a team that imposed rather than reacted – tactically AND in mental approach. Good thing after what happened Friday:
- Premier League Power Rankings: Everton flying, Manchester United nosedive – Week 14-15 1
- Three 2014 World Cup dark horses across three continents 1
- UEFA Champions League preview: Arsenal, Chelsea look to close out groups 0
- New York City FC names Jason Kreis its first coach 5
- UEFA Champions League recap: Man United, Bayern join Real, PSG as group winners 0
- Where They Stand: Who’s in, who’s out after Tuesday’s UEFA Champions League action 0
- 2014 World Cup Draw: Recapping the event (43)
- 2014 World Cup Draw: USA in Group of Death with Germany, Portugal, Ghana – Schedule, times, venues (34)
- What US Soccer wants from the World Cup draw (23)
- Now that we know the U.S. opponents, which 23 players should Jurgen Klinsmann bring to Brazil? (21)
- Sporting Kansas City crowned 2013 MLS champions after 10 rounds of penalty kicks (15)
- Brazil 2014: A Look At South America
- Arena de Amazonia: Host of USA vs CR7
- USA Will Advance in Brazil
- Group B: No Walk In The Park
- Analyzing The Draw From An Azzurri Viewpoint
- Q&A With Alvaro Saborio
- Ronaldo: "I Didn't See the Draw, I Was Asleep"
- Messi: "There Are no Easy Opponents"
- England Are up in The Amazon Without a Paddle
- Mexico's World Cup Kit