Aug 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EST
Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann grew up making a short trip to Lyon’s Stade de Gerland, where Olympique Lyonnais was building quite a decade of dominance in French Ligue 1 soccer.
Tuesday, the first big day of Champions League greatness, the 22-year-old La Liga attacker went a long way to knocking his boyhood side out of the world’s most prestigious club competition. And he did so in high style.
Griezmann’s golazo was half the margin in a 2-0 win at that same ground in Lyon. Taking a 2-0 lead back to Spain means Lyon, a three-time Champions League quarterfinalist over the last 10 years, probably won’t be getting anywhere near the elimination stage this year.
Here’s the overhead strike: (By the way, the assist came from Mexican attacker Carlos Vela, who once gave the United States trouble, before that program fell mysteriously to pieces.)
- Premier League Preview: West Ham United vs. Chelsea 0
- WATCH: Incredible 60-yard pass leads Montreal ouster of Pachuca in CONCACAF Champions League 3
- Tuesday’s Premier League roundup: Saints, Villa win; Hull, Sunderland draw (video) 0
- 2015 MLS season preview: Toronto FC 0
- Aston Villa 2-1 West Bromwich Albion: Late drama hands Sherwood first win (video) 0
- Southampton 1-0 Crystal Palace: Mane’s late goal gets Saints back on track (video) 0