Aug 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann grew up making a short trip to Lyon’s Stade de Gerland, where Olympique Lyonnais was building quite a decade of dominance in French Ligue 1 soccer.
Tuesday, the first big day of Champions League greatness, the 22-year-old La Liga attacker went a long way to knocking his boyhood side out of the world’s most prestigious club competition. And he did so in high style.
Griezmann’s golazo was half the margin in a 2-0 win at that same ground in Lyon. Taking a 2-0 lead back to Spain means Lyon, a three-time Champions League quarterfinalist over the last 10 years, probably won’t be getting anywhere near the elimination stage this year.
Here’s the overhead strike: (By the way, the assist came from Mexican attacker Carlos Vela, who once gave the United States trouble, before that program fell mysteriously to pieces.)
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 10 0
- Diego Costa will be available to Chelsea this weekend, says Jose Mourinho; QPR and Blues to tangle on NBCSN 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Everton the standouts 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Will Chelsea ever lose, Burnley ever win? 0
- Premier League Preview: Newcastle United vs. Liverpool 0
- Steven Gerrard will play somewhere next season, Liverpool deal or not 1