Aug 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann grew up making a short trip to Lyon’s Stade de Gerland, where Olympique Lyonnais was building quite a decade of dominance in French Ligue 1 soccer.
Tuesday, the first big day of Champions League greatness, the 22-year-old La Liga attacker went a long way to knocking his boyhood side out of the world’s most prestigious club competition. And he did so in high style.
Griezmann’s golazo was half the margin in a 2-0 win at that same ground in Lyon. Taking a 2-0 lead back to Spain means Lyon, a three-time Champions League quarterfinalist over the last 10 years, probably won’t be getting anywhere near the elimination stage this year.
Here’s the overhead strike: (By the way, the assist came from Mexican attacker Carlos Vela, who once gave the United States trouble, before that program fell mysteriously to pieces.)
- Radamel Falcao on track to return at weekend’s Emirates Cup 0
- PST’s Major League Soccer Player of the Week: Portland’s Diego Valeri 0
- The great Southampton exodus continues. Why is this happening? 6
- Arsenal confirm $27 million signing of Calum Chambers 1
- Manchester City host #AskJesus (Navas) Twitter chat, hilarious comments ensue 1
- VIDEO: Mario Balotelli takes amazing selfie with two pitch invaders 1