Aug 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann grew up making a short trip to Lyon’s Stade de Gerland, where Olympique Lyonnais was building quite a decade of dominance in French Ligue 1 soccer.
Tuesday, the first big day of Champions League greatness, the 22-year-old La Liga attacker went a long way to knocking his boyhood side out of the world’s most prestigious club competition. And he did so in high style.
Griezmann’s golazo was half the margin in a 2-0 win at that same ground in Lyon. Taking a 2-0 lead back to Spain means Lyon, a three-time Champions League quarterfinalist over the last 10 years, probably won’t be getting anywhere near the elimination stage this year.
Here’s the overhead strike: (By the way, the assist came from Mexican attacker Carlos Vela, who once gave the United States trouble, before that program fell mysteriously to pieces.)
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 0
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 4
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 9
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 7
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 5