Aug 20, 2013, 6:32 PM EDT
Real Sociedad winger Antoine Griezmann grew up making a short trip to Lyon’s Stade de Gerland, where Olympique Lyonnais was building quite a decade of dominance in French Ligue 1 soccer.
Tuesday, the first big day of Champions League greatness, the 22-year-old La Liga attacker went a long way to knocking his boyhood side out of the world’s most prestigious club competition. And he did so in high style.
Griezmann’s golazo was half the margin in a 2-0 win at that same ground in Lyon. Taking a 2-0 lead back to Spain means Lyon, a three-time Champions League quarterfinalist over the last 10 years, probably won’t be getting anywhere near the elimination stage this year.
Here’s the overhead strike: (By the way, the assist came from Mexican attacker Carlos Vela, who once gave the United States trouble, before that program fell mysteriously to pieces.)
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2